At least the Indians finally hit a triple! The Tribe's record now stands at a disappointing 8-14 after dropping two of three to the Boston Red Sox when it had a legitimate shot at winning all three. The team collectively went 2-32 with runners in scoring positions, which is downright embarrassing. Every aspect of this team needs to be dissected and critiqued heavily. Here are some rants, without any raves.
- Peralta is lost, and needs to be sat down for a few games to figure some things out.
- Why a team carrying 14 pitchers trots out a reliever who is prone to the gopher ball (Lewis) for his third consecutive inning, is a mystery. Why not throw the guy (Rundles) who gets lefties out against the lefty (Van Every)?
- The Indians blew a golden opportunity for a win when the Red Sox decided to sit Youklis, Drew, and Lugo on the bench in favor of Bailey, Van Every, and Green. I don't care that Van Every hit the winning home run, they are all jobbers.
- Shapiro better find seven pitchers to throw out of the bullpen that he believes in, because a major league team cannot have a bench of two or three guys when the starting nine are incredibly slow and not versatile.
- Lee and Carmona pitched great, and have nothing to show for it.
- Reyes' fastball topping out at 85 MPH was not a good sign.
- Putting a closer in a tie ball game when he had pitched the night before, makes no sense to me. I can understand if Wood hadn't thrown in a while, but it works like 50 percent of the time. I understood Wood throwing Tuesday as there really wasn't anyone left.
- Moves I would make tomorrow: Cut Kobayashi, demote Graffanino and Rundles, and call up LaPorta, Valbuena, and Barfield. Make Shoppach your backup catcher again, sit Peralta down a few days, and stick LaPorta at DH with an occasional spot start in left. What is worth more, LaPorta losing a year of arbitration or your team losing an entire season? Barfield, Crowe, Shoppach, and Peralta make up your bench for the time being. Send Barfield down when Carroll comes back. I don't even want to get started on Dellucci.
- If and when Pavano and Reyes keep sucking, ship the worse one out and call up Rondon from Akron...it would bring excitement, and a guy who throws heat.
- I need not watch Friday's game or my blood pressure will become a health problem.
- I have a horrible feeling that the same old moves will happen tomorrow (Dellucci up).
- When is the point in the season when the team decides the core of this team just is not working together as a cohesive unit?
- What will be the club's excuse for their bad start this year? Hafner on the DL? The WBC? The swine flu?
- Should I feel optimistic that they are still only 3.5 games back?
The Tribe is thankfully off Thursday, but moves the train wreck on up to Detroit, where Carl Pavano (0-3 9.50 ERA) takes on Armando Gallaraga (3-0 1.85 ERA). Are you still in the Tribe?
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!