May is right around the corner.
As I count the days till opening day, and the 93rd running of the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing." I figure, I would be productive and write a little bit on what I hope is to come for the Month of May.
The entry list has come out and there are many TBA.
Roth Racing, Vision/Herta Autosport, Sarah Fisher Racing, Foyt Racing, Dale Coyne Racing, KV Racing Technologies, Hemelgarn, Rahal Letterman Racing, Dreyer and Reinbold Racing, and Conquest Racing, all have seats available.
Who will fill these?
1. Hopefully, Tomas Scheckter gets one of these rides. He showed patience in last year's race and will defiantly be able to get the full potential out of any car. No speculation of where he will land, but I think Foyt Racing would be a great fit. With AJ looking over, Tomas has the chance to learn and perform on and off the track in the No.48, ABC Supply Company, Honda.
2. With an entry open at Rahal Letterman, maybe a possible reunion could be arranged for Buddy Rice to drive again.
3. I think Milka Duno will get the fourth car at Dreyer and Reinbold.
4. Darren Manning is searching for a ride as well, even though he's been running with Dreyer and Reinbold through the first two races. If he doesn’t land there, I think the second No.68, Sarah Fisher Racing, car could be entered for him in the second weekend of qualifications.
5. I also see Townsend Bell running the third KV Technology car, future behind teammates Mario Moraes and Indy Vet Paul Tracy.
6. Other possibilities include Nelson Phillipe at Roth Racing and Alex Tagliani for Conquest Racing.
7. As for Bryan Herta, Buddy Rice could wind up there. Who knows, maybe Bryan will pull out the ole racing shoes and give it a go again!
8. Jay Howard is also another worthy candidate, after being screwed by Marty Roth last season, no one has the urge more the Jay to prove he belongs out there.. maybe the Fisher car? or possibly Conquest?
Any or all of these possibilities could happen, or I could just be way off.
This year’s competition is going to be fierce. It might be one of the most competitive 500s since the 1995 race. The former Champ Car teams getting stronger now that they have a year under their belts.
For the first time, we technically have two defending champions, and whata know, their teammates.
Dario Franchitti will make his return to the 500 after a year in Nascar, and I am ecstatic about that. He is my pick to win, in his first 500 since winning the, rain shortened, 2007 race. Dario wins and then we get to hear Ashley rants of absolutely nothing. So can we please stop interviewing her?
Doesn’t she get enough TV from her movies, or maybe I will have her sign a baseball this May. (Simon and Birch) I'm terrible I know.
Depending on if you’re a CART and Paul Tracy fan, you might argue that we have three drivers defending their last Indy 500 Victory. He has joke in every news conference that he won the race in 2002, and it was fitting that his announcement at Long Beach was over shadowed by Helio's freedom.
With Geico colors, Paul will be strong, as we all know he can still get it done as we saw last year and Edmonton.
It is great to have Helio back!
Penske Power, no pun intended will be strong in the Month of May, with three drivers for the first time since 1994. Will Power will be in the No.12 Verizon Honda, Ryan Briscoe in the No.6 and Helio back in the No.3. All three have an excellent shot at winning.
Well I will wrap this up.
I have been working on some articles for the Month of May in a series called "where have they gone?" It is a series on former IRL drivers, and what they are up to these days. I have three or four drivers done so far, and waiting on a few others.
The first one will be publish on here by this time next week! Thanks everyone! Please leave feedback! Or email me... email@example.com