Ravens Prevail over Stingers in Second Annual DIFD Contest

Mark Staffieri@@MarkStaff100Contributor IIFebruary 11, 2013

Photo by Mark Staffieri
Photo by Mark Staffieri

Carleton University’s Ice House hosted its second annual event on February 9 to help raise funds for Do It for Daron. For the second consecutive season, the Ravens hosted the Concordia Stingers from Montreal in the fundraiser.

An Ottawa based foundation, DIFD helps to honor the life of the late Daron Richardson, daughter of former Ottawa Senators assistant coach Luke Richardson, and sister of Cornell Big Red defender Morgan Richardson.

Sadie Wegner would open the scoring for the Ravens with 17:43 remaining in the first frame. Freshman Wendy Abramenko was credited with the assist for the 1-0 lead.

In the first five minutes of the contest, the Stingers could only manage one shot on net. Stingers forward Alyssa Sherrard tried to tie the score. She was behind Tamber Tisdale’s net and released a pass to the front of the net, but there were no Stingers there to receive it.

A few minutes later, the Stingers would manage to even the score. Sophomore skater Brittany Laing hit the post but the puck bounced into the net. Sherrard and Veronique Laramee-Paquette (who once played Division I hockey for Wayne State) logged the assists.

Near the midway point of the first period, Kelsey Vander Veen of Carleton was called for a holding penalty. Despite the power play, the Stingers could not take advantage. Freshman Tracy-Ann Lavigne had a rebound but missed an open net.

During the penalty kill, Ravens skater Victoria Gouge nearly scored a short-handed tally. On a breakaway, she had the puck between the legs of Concordia backstop Carolanne Lavoi-Pilon. Gouge whacked at the puck again but Lavoi-Pilon fell on the puck to prevent the goal.

On the other end of the ice, Tisdale was also solid between the pipes. A shot by Hayley Boyd of the Stingers hit Ravens defender Jasmine Levesque. Said shot bounced off Levesque’s skate and hit Tisdale in the chest. On another play, Sherrard tired to bury a rebound past Tisdale but she was prepared for it.

With 6:08 remaining, Carleton’s Alex Yallouz scored the Ravens' second goal of the period. Linemate Ainslee Kent streaked up the ice and released a backhand pass that went across the ice. Yallouz buried the laser-like pass as the Carleton faithful roared in approval.

Less than three minutes later, Carleton would manage to tie the score again. Team captain Mallory Lawton (playing in her second-to-last game) scored an unassisted tally.

Before the period would end, Carleton would try to regain the lead. On the power play, the Stingers were pressured. Carleton’s Sydnie MacDonald was parked in front of the Stinger net but was unable to tip a pass to provide the squad with the go-ahead goal.

Heading into the second stanza, Wegner accidentally hit teammate Gouge in the facemask with her stick blade. A few seconds later, Wegner would endure more bad luck as she tripped in front of the Stingers goaltender.

With Wegner down, Tisdale left the net for an extra attacker. As the Ravens employed the extra attacker, it bought time for the squad to recover from Wegner’s fall.

After Tisdale returned to the net, she helped the team regain the lead. A clearing pass found its way to Stephanie Plourde. The fourth-year defender found Kelsey Vander Veen. She would give the Ravens a 3-2 advantage with 18:04 remaining.

One minute and 32 seconds later, Alex Yallouz doubled the Ravens lead. With heavy traffic in the Stingers crease, there was no interference penalty called. Yallouz tapped it in for the 4-2 lead. Despite an appeal by Stingers captain Lawton, the goal stood.

For the rest of the period, penalties would be the story. Concordia’s Tracy-Ann Lavigne was called for a penalty with 15:11 remaining. The Ravens’ Erin Beaver would be called for interference a few minutes later.

The penalty to Beaver would begin a string of numerous penalties for the Ravens. Freshman Tawnya Guindon would be sent to the penalty box. Before her penalty expired, she would be joined by Yallouz. She served a game misconduct penalty for knocking down Laramee-Paquette.

With a 5-on-3 power play, Tisdale would prove to be the factor in preventing the Stingers from taking advantage. She would stop Jayme Shell on three separate scoring opportunities. In addition, she would stone Laramee-Paquette twice.

With 5:31 remaining, Ravens captain Blaire MacDonald was called for a 4-minute penalty (hit to the head). The Stingers would enjoy another 5-on-3 power play 77 seconds later. Wendy Abramenko was called for body checking.

Although the Stingers enjoyed so many power play opportunities, they were still outshot by the Ravens. The bounces just seemed to go the Ravens way as Shell shot again but was blocked by Ainslee Kent.

In addition, Sherrard was looking to pass the puck and create a scoring opportunity, but it was intercepted by Stephanie Plourde. The best chance to score belonged to Marie-Pier Cloutier. The freshman forward nearly buried a backhand past Tisdale but it was not meant to be.

Despite the power plays, the Stingers were unable to capitalize whatsoever. In successfully neutralizing the Stingers numerous power play advantages, Tisdale was a wall of stone.

Tisdale would continue to be impenetrable in the final frame. Jillian Ferguson released a powerful slap shot that bounced out of Tisdale’s glove. Laramee-Paquette displayed true hustle on one scoring play. She picked up her own rebound and parked herself behind the net. Despite a pass to the front of the net, no Stingers player could take advantage.

Unlike the second period, there were no penalties, and the style of play was defined by a lot of back and forth and strong skating. Although Concordia peppered Tisdale with shots, they could not overcome the two-goal deficit.

In the final five minutes, fatigue came into play. Concordia’s Ferguson and Carleton’s Kent both tripped each other. With Ferguson on her knees, Abramenko tripped right over her.

With one minute remaining, Concordia played with an empty net in favor of an extra attacker, but they were unable to put a shot on the Carleton net. Ainslee Kent had an opportunity to score an empty net goal. Shadowed by three Concordia players, she released a shot just a little past center ice but it missed the net by a foot. All the skaters on the play just looked like they had tired legs.

Despite a valiant third period effort by Concordia, the Ravens were successful in preserving their lead. By game’s end, the Stingers had outshot the Ravens by a 30-27 advantage, including a 7-6 mark in the final frame.

For the second consecutive year, the Ravens prevailed in the DIFD fundraiser. Ravens forward Alex Yallouz was enthusiastic about the opportunity to participate in the DIFD event. With the DIFD purple heart logo on the back of her helmet, the opportunity to raise funds for mental health is one that she is proud to participate in, “It is great that we can help lend a voice to this great cause. It can be an issue that is swept under the rug and we want to help bring it to the forefront.”

“All quotes obtained first hand unless otherwise indicated.”