Watching John Calipari sign a massive deal and jump ship, leaving Memphis for the University of Kentucky, got me thinking. Yes, Calipari is a sleazeball but where does he rank on the Top 10 List of Sports Sleazeballs? Well, since there are no reference points, for this list, I figured it was up to me to sort out the details for all of our fans out there.
10) Carlos Boozer: If there was such a thing as a good offender on this list, Boozer would be the closest thing to it. However, his contract negotiation antics that got him out of Cleveland a few years ago have to be considered sleazy by anyone who is in the know.
To make matters worse, with his massive contract coming to an end in Denver, Boozer seems to up to his old tricks again, ready to screw the Nuggets and head for greener pastures. That is, if someone is willing to take on the injury-prone center.
9) Tom Brady: Yes, he is America’s “Golden Boy.” Hell, the NFL even changed one of their rules, thanks to the injury he suffered in the '08 season opener. They didn’t do that when Carson Palmer went down from a similar hit a few years ago.
Nonetheless, the reason why Tom Brady makes this list is his off-the-field activity. Hooking up with multiple super models and then knocking one up is not cool. To top matters off, he has now taken that kid away from its mother and Bridezilla is raising the baby. That’s just cold.
8) John Calipari: He is the new top guy at the University of Kentucky, and with the new title will come new scrutiny, that’s for sure. But controversy is something that has followed John Calipari his entire coaching career. Heck, his move to UK was a controversial move.
One thing is for sure, when you bring Calipari into your school, you can expect a ton of baggage to be associated with him. He will get you wins on the court, but at what cost?
7) Al Davis: The genius behind the Oakland Raiders. Despite residing out on the West Coast for the better part of the last 40 years, Al Davis is a Brooklyn hustler at heart. He runs the Raiders with a vice grip, ensuring all decisions go through him, even if he is well past his prime and not capable of handling any daily business operations.
Also, let’s not forget he did move the Oakland Raiders to L.A. and then back to Oakland a few years later simply because he failed to have his way. Talk about a temper tantrum.
6) Jim Calhoun: Yes, his Huskies are in the Final Four once again, and Coach Calhoun has the opportunity to win his third National Championship. Despite all the glitz and glamour Jim Calhoun may be experiencing right now, though, his team is once again under investigation for NCAA recruiting violations.
This is not the first time Calhoun has found himself or his program in hot water. His players have had run ins with the law. Also, don’t forget Calhoun shouting down a poor reporter earlier this season when he was questioned about his massive salary.
5) Nick Saban: What can you say about this guy? He has bolted from every coaching job he ever held. It doesn’t matter if it’s in the pros or in the college game. Nick Saban will leave for greener pastures at a moment’s notice. The best part about it is, he will swear up and down he has no intentions of leaving, while all the while he is on a private jet to the next spot.
4) Terrell Owens: Some like to call him a team obliterator, and that would be a very accurate description of the disgruntled wideout. The San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles, Baltimore Ravens, and Dallas Cowboys have all felt the bite of this snake in the grass. With T.O. already skipping workouts in Buffalo, it’s safe to say the Bills should be prepared to add their name to the list of teams destroyed by Hurricane T.O.
3) Barry Bonds: Cheated the game, cheated the fans, and somehow got one of his friends to go to jail rather than squeal on him. Barry Bonds is a grade-A pain the in the ass.
Even before the home runs, Bonds was a tough character to get along with. He never fit in during his early days in Pittsburgh. He could have been America’s sweetheart if he simply wasn’t such an ass to everyone around him. Now, he stands alone as the symbol of arrogance and shame. Not to mention he is thought of as Public Enemy No. 1 to most MLB fans.
2) Drew Rosenhaus: Do I need to go into depth about this one? This is the man who faked taking a phone call on NFL Draft Day just to get his client drafted a few spots higher. Oh yeah, and he is the proud agent of none other than Terrell Owens.
Top all of this off with the fact that it is known among all owners in every league that Rosenhaus really is not that good of an agent. His deals often leave his clients short of signing the mega deals, and tend to leave them wanting more.
1) Don King: He’s promoted some of the biggest fights in the history of boxing. He has also stolen from some of the most dangerous men on the planet. I mean seriously, who has the gall to steal from Mike Tyson and still try to get him to sign a new contract? Oh yeah, and the icing on the cake for this sleazebag? He went to jail for manslaughter before becoming a promoter.