"He Ain't Gonna Be Any Different!"
"Same GM, Different Name"
"He Has All This Money He Could Use But He Sits On His Hands"
"20 More Years Of The Same Stuff"
This is what I have heard over the past couple months. Everything negative because Pioli didn't sign the best available player no matter the cost.
My response is this. It Is Not Even April!!!
Look at the transactions the Chiefs had made last year before the draft.
1. Resigned Dustin Colquitt. (GREAT, but he is a punter)
2. Signed Demorrio Williams. (62 tackles, nothing else)
3. Signed Nick Novak. (Released 10-21-08)
4. Picked up Oliver Hoyte from waivers. (never played)
5. Signed Devard Darling. (17 catches, 1 TD)
All the Chiefs have done this year under the "same type of GM" is
1. Trade the 34th pick in the draft for Matt Cassel (3,700 yds, 21 TD, 11 wins. He will start.)
2. and Mike Vrabel.( Leader, 62 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 int. He will start.)
3. Signed CJ Jones. (depth at WR)
4. Signed Darrell Robertson. (depth at DE)
5. Resigned Jon McGraw. (captain on special teams)
6. Signed Travis Daniels. (depth at CB)
7. Signed Corey Mays. (depth at LB)
8. Signed Bobby Engram. (depth at WR. He should be #2 on depth chart. He will start.)
9. Signed Monty Beisel. (depth at LB)
10. Signed Terrance Cooper. (depth at WR)
11. Signed Mike Goff. (Starter every game eight of the last nine years. He will start.)
I sure wish Pioli would do something?????????
Will all these players start or even make the team? No, but some will and others will have a huge impact on what the Chiefs do this season.
I am like most of you. I am chomping at the bit. I can't wait for the draft. I can't wait for the next big signing. I can't wait for the season and the prospects of the season and seasons to come. Someone wrote an article asking "Is Pioli overrated?" We will not be able to answer that for five years or so. I will go out on a limb and say this. Pioli will be looked at as the best signing of the 2009 offseason!