I like little more than to hear the English national anthem being played on loud speakers after a victorious sporting event. After today, I'm guessing Jenson Button has the same feeling after he won the Australian Grand Prix, with World Champion Lewis Hamilton moving from 18th to finish third.
This season's opening grand prix in Melbourne was a huge success for Button and Hamilton.
Jenson's career was hanging by a thread at Christmas as he had no team to drive for after his former team, Honda, pulled out of the competition due to financial problems.
Now with the new team on the block, Brawn GP, he has made his mark by winning their first ever race. To top it off, teammate Barrichelo finished just behind him in second. This is Button's second victory in his 10th season.
Hamilton, who was positioned 18th at the start of the race, stormed his way through the pack to finish in fourth. This result was then made even better when third place Jarno Trulli received a 25-second penalty for illegally overtaking under the safety car near the end of the race.
Congratulations to the British drivers!
1. Jenson Button (Gbr) Brawn GP
2. Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Brawn GP
3. Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren
4. Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota
5. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault
6. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams
7. Sebastien Buemi (Swi) Scuderia Toro Rosso
8. Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Scuderia Toro Rosso
9. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India
10. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber
11. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India
12. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota
13. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull
14. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull
15. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber
16. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari
Not Classified: 17 Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari, 18 Nelson Piquet Jr. (Bra) Renault, 19 Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams, 20 Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!