The Montreal Canadiens are clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot with only 10 games remaining in the season. Let's set aside the centennial talk, the what ifs, and the what-could-have-been.
Here are 10 ideas to help focus the Habs in their drive towards the playoffs:
1. Bob Gainey: Challenge the veterans and give them the ice time. They need responsibility and accountability.
2. Players: Start the playoff beards! Every game is a must-win. The baby-faced Sergei Kostitsyn and Greg Stewart are exempted.
3. Administration: Move the team into a hotel for the home stand to minimize distractions and instill playoff mentality.
4. Special Teams: Take over and dominate. Be the deciding factor in the outcome of remaining games.
5. Fans: Express your displeasure only if the Canadiens are officially eliminated from the playoffs. Until then, make sure to support the team unconditionally. Don't be a negative influence and be a source of extra pressure during home games.
6. Media: Act responsibly and with journalistic integrity. End agenda-driven stories. Alternatively, the Canadiens should limit media conferences and open locker rooms. Pay the NHL fine. It's worth it.
7. Georges Laraque: Retire and start your media career or take a seat and shut up! You have issued more media statements than you have engaged in fights this year.
8. Don Lever: Forget the French lessons to gain favor with the media. Nothing will ever be good enough for them. Instead, help coach this team into the playoffs and prove that you are the best candidate for the Habs' head coaching position.
9. Marketing Department: Enough with the special ceremonies and vintage jerseys. The focus should be on hockey.
10. Doug Jarvis, Kirk Muller, Rollie Melanson, Pierre Boivin, Pierre Gauthier: Polish up your resumes. If my wishes come true you will all be looking for new jobs at the end of the season.