The writing had been on the wall for some time now, but 3-star cornerback Gareon Conley (Massillon, Ohio) officially de-committed from the Michigan Wolverines on Tuesday morning, and it appears the 6'2", 165-pounder will wind up joining the Ohio State Buckeyes' 2013 recruiting class fairly soon.
Conley made an unofficial visit to Columbus last Saturday and has set up an official visit for December 7th, which is expected to be a massive recruiting weekend for the Buckeyes.
Although the Michigan coaches are unlikely to pull Conley's scholarship like they did when former offensive guard commit David Dawson (Detroit, Mich.) visited the Florida Gators last month, the Massillon Washington High School standout informed BuckeyeGrove.com that Ohio State is the only school he is still considering at this time.
When I asked Gareon Conley this evening to list the schools he is still considering, he only provided one, #OhioState— Marc Givler (@MarcGivlerBG) November 27, 2012
Conley's decision to de-commit is not surprising, and it stings a little bit more for Michigan fans since he is likely to don the Scarlet and Grey, but there is not a huge concern for the Wolverines, who are still going to finish with one of the nation's top five classes come February.
Additionally, the Wolverines still have commitments from 4-star cornerbacks Ross Douglas (Avon, Ohio) and Jourdan Lewis (Detroit, Mich.) along with a sleeper defensive back prospect in Channing Stribling (Matthews, N.C.).
Michigan is also still in the mix for 5-star defensive back Leon McQuay III (Seffner, Fla.), though its chances of actually landing him are slim.
The Wolverines are unlikely to go after any other defensive backs at this point in the process, but Michigan is hoping to fill the spot Dawson left behind with 4-star offensive lineman Kenny Lacy (Phoenix, Az.), who is looking at other schools despite being committed to the UCLA Bruins.
Lacy received a scholarship offer from the Wolverines on Tuesday afternoon, and he intends to make an official visit to Ann Arbor on December 14th.
"I didn't know that they would, but [today] (Coach Darrell Funk) just said to make sure that I knew I had a scholarship offer to Michigan," Lacy told Tim Sullivan of TheWolverine.com. "He wasn't sure if I knew. He was talking about the tradition they have of great linemen and the schooling part of it—the academics—all stuff like that."
The nation's No. 175 overall prospect and No. 17 ranked offensive tackle has already taken official trips to see what the Nebraska Cornhuskers, Arkansas Razorbacks and UCLA Bruins have to offer. Lacy is also scheduled to visit the Kansas State Wildcats this weekend.
"I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing out on anything," Lacy said. "I want to see all of the opportunities I have."
Lacy will sit down and evaluate everything once he takes his final official visit, so Michigan will not have to wait too long to find out if the Mountain Pointe High School star will spurn UCLA in favor of the Maize and Blue.
One of the few remaining prospects on Michigan's recruiting board that will not be ending his recruitment anytime soon is 4-star wide receiver Laquon Treadwell (Crete, Ill.).
The No. 23 overall prospect concluded his senior season with a state title and will now turn his focus to the recruiting process. Treadwell has scheduled an official visit to Ole Miss this weekend. Look for visits to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Michigan to be set up soon.
Finally, Michigan fans perked up at the thought of 5-star running back Ty Isaac (Joliet, Ill.) getting an in-home visit from the Wolverines, but it appears those were merely rumors.
Isaac informed EdgyTim.com that schools have inquired about setting up in-home visits and "we haven't set any home visits with any other school besides USC."
Keep checking back for the latest news and updates as Michigan tries to close out its 2013 recruiting haul on a high note.
Follow me on Twitter @ZachDirlam_SSN.