The only SEC team playing yesterday was Mississippi State, who got absolutely handled by Washington. Many picked State as an “upset special”, but Washington was ferocious on defense and Brockman had his way inside to life the Huskies to a 71-58 victory over the Bulldogs.
Some stats that stand out…
- Washington shot 43.5%, MSU shot 34.5%
- Washington outrebounded State 45-35 and attempted 4 more shots
- Brockman had 10 points and 15 rebounds, Varnado had 7 points and 3 rebounds, 4 blocks.
- Phil Turner had 5 more rebounds than Varnado
- Ravern Johnson and Dee Bost were a collective 4-of-23 from the floor
This was a pretty bad performance from MSU overall, and it shows the weakness of the four-guard lineup against physical teams. State heavily overachieved this year and should be favored to win the SEC next year with nearly everyone returning.
Tennessee begins play against Oklahoma State today in about half an hour and Florida faces Miami in the NIT at 6 p.m. CT.