World Football Gossip Roundup: Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Sergio Busquets
John Terry and Rio Ferdinand can't stay out of the news, and this Sunday edition of the B/R World Football Gossip Roundup is certainly no exception.
Terry, who is still dealing with the fallout from his racism trial, is making news even though he's not currently on the field.
And Ferdinand, whose brother was involved in the Terry incident last year, apparently doesn't want to let it go.
Those stories are inside, along with updates on Sergio Busquets, Frank Lampard and a foiled mugging in Italy. Read on for the details.
Ferdinand, Roberts Snub Kick It Out Campaign
Michael Regan/Getty Images
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand and Reading defender Jason Roberts declined to wear anti-racism shirts from the Kick It Out campaign Saturday before their English Premier League matches (via ESPN FC).
Roberts said the campaign has not done enough to fight racism. He pointed to Chelsea captain John Terry's recent four-match suspension as a factor in his decision.
I'm totally committed to kicking racism out of football but when there's a movement I feel represents the issue in the way that speaks for me and my colleagues, then I will happily support it. I think people feel let down by what used to be called "Let's Kick Racism Out of Football." People don't feel like they have been strong enough.
Ferguson's brother, Anton, was involved in the incident that earned Terry the four-match suspension.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said he was "disappointed" by Ferdinand's decision. He said the situation would be "dealt with" (via The Guardian).
John Terry to Remain Chelsea Captain, but Will He Receive a New Contract?
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
Former England international defender John Terry will remain Chelsea captain despite being fined by the club and banned four matches by the Football Association for racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand (via Daily Telegraph).
The club's board allowed Terry to remain captain, and manager Roberto Di Matteo has backed the decision.
"The board made a decision and I respect the board's decision and I support that decision," Di Matteo said. "Ultimately they are the board and they make the decisions in the best interests of the club. I have an input and we had conversations, but they decide."
Terry, 31, was banned four matches and fined £220,000 by the Football Association earlier this month for his role in the incident with Ferdinand last year. He also received a fine from Chelsea.
According to the Daily Mirror, Chelsea will not offer Terry a new contract after his current deal expires following the 2013-14 season.
Los Angeles Galaxy to Pursue Frank Lampard in January?
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
The Los Angeles Galaxy will pursue a move for Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard, according to the Daily Mail.
Lampard, 34, entered Chelsea's 4-2 win at Tottenham on Saturday as a late substitute. Lampard has been linked with the Major League Soccer side for several weeks, with commissioner Don Garber saying the midfielder would be welcome with "any club" in the league.
Lampard is in the final year of his contract. The Galaxy will reportedly try to move for him in January.
Liverpool to Move for Theo Walcott, Daniel Sturridge?
Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Liverpool will move for Arsenal's Theo Walcott and Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge in the January transfer window, according to the Daily Mirror.
Reds manager Brendan Rodgers has only one recognized striker, Luis Suarez, available in his first team. Rodgers would prefer to sign Walcott permanently and Sturridge on loan.
Chelsea to Chase Sergio Busquets?
Denis Doyle/Getty Images
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich wants to buy midfielder Sergio Busquets from Barcelona for £25 million at the end of the current season (via Daily Mirror).
Busquets reportedly wants to leave Barca at the end of the season. A January move is unlikely because he would be cup tied in the Champions League.
Chelsea are reportedly ready to spend £25 million on Busquets, 24.
Leonardo Bonucci Thwarts Would-Be Mugger
Claudio Villa/Getty Images
Juventus defender Leonardo Bonucci thwarted a would-be mugger in Turin last week (via New York Times).
Bonucci, a 25-year-old Italy international, punched the mugger in the face, causing him to flee. The mugger had demanded Bonucci's watch as he left a Ferrari dealership with his wife and son.
The attacker fled on a motorcycle with an accomplice.