Here is a brief run-down of the NHL's weekly frivolities, so put down the pistachios and pay attention.
Last 10 Streaks
On Fire: Pittsburgh Penguins (8-1-1)
On the Wire: Tampa Bay Lightning (2-6-2)
Bushwhack: New York Islanders (4-1-1)
Three Playmakers of the Week
- Jarome Iginla (CGY-RW): Iginla went berserk, bagging five points against the Lightning in an uncontrolled scoring spree which lead to an 8-6 loss for the Flames. He then went on to throw snake-eyes again in the goals column against Ottawa.
- Eric Staal (CAR-C): Staal has been on a rampage since Valentines' Day, but he wasn't even close to done. He scored a touchdown against the double-A Tampa Bay Lightning in a 9-3 mashing on Saturday.
- Vincent Lecavalier (TB-C): The man from Ile-Bizard sure isn't going away softly. Ask and you shall receive, as Lecavalier has dialed in points in four consecutive games including a double dip in Calgary.
Three Clearance-Priced Playmakers of the Week
- David Moss (CGY-RW): Moss the Maniac will be showing up in Senators' dreams for weeks. He plastered Ottawa in three different ways - on the power-play, at even strength, and into the yawning empty net. Three goals on four shots equals "Get him the puck!"
- Loui Eriksson (DAL-LW): Eriksson has been shooting to kill, throwing up four goals in four games. Park it and shoot it, Loui.
- Mark Recchi(BOS-RW): The Recchin' Ball puts up numbers no matter where he plays. After a Promethean-like five point performance in Calgary, he joined up with the Bruins to bag two more goals.
Three Smoke Grenades of the Week
- Ryan Getzlaf (ANH-C): Getzlaf has been absolutely dismal over the last few games, both losses for the Ducks. Registering a total of one point in his last five, Getzlaf can't seem to find the net either. Zero shots on net in three of five won't cut it.
- Brian Rafalski (DET-D): Rafalski has been a pivotal piece of the Red Wings' defense, which has now allowed eight goals twice in as many days. After completing a five game point streak, Rafalski has now gone five more without registering a point, unless you count his primary assist to Rick Nash in Detroit's 8-2 loss to Columbus.
- Scott Niedermayer (ANH-D): Niedermayer has disrespectfully played 25 and 28 minutes in his last two games, both losses. In all that ice time, Niedermayer has located the opposing net once for zero points. I would happily take his salary to stand on the ice and watch the puck go into my own net.
Three Haymakers of the Week
- Krys Barch (DAL-RW): The Stars winger has now thrown the laundry in three straight games, fighting Sheldon Brookbank, Sean O'Donnell and Brad Staubitz.
- Ben Ondrus(TOR-RW): Ondrus began his 2008-09 season in style. First, he danced with Matt Bradley in a victory over the Capitals. Second, he mixed it up twice in a loss to Edmonton and also added a two minute roughing minor for good measure.
- Shea Weber(NSH-D): Weber was head-hunting in several ways over the past week. He not only did the rope-a-dope with Jason Strudwick and R.J. Umberger, he also delivered some missiles for shots that would give any goalie the shivers.
Goalie of the Week
Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT-G): Fleury has now won six straight games, giving up a goal or less in four of those wins.