WBC President Says Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Has Lost Millions Due to Gambling

Mick AkersAnalyst IOctober 5, 2012

LAS VEGAS, NV - SEPTEMBER 15:  Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (L) is instructed to walk away by referee Tony Weeks after knocking down Sergio Martinez in the twelfth round of their WBC middleweight title fight at the Thomas & Mack Center on September 15, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Getty Images)
Jeff Bottari/Getty Images

WBC president Jose Sulaiman has alleged that former title-holder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has a serious gambling problem and has lost millions of dollars due to his addiction, according to BoxingScene.com.

Sulaiman said, "(He makes all of his money) and just gives it (right back) to the casinos, and that is truly terrible. He is no longer the young man I knew. He has become sour and has a passion to throw his money away and that isn't normal."

Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KOs) lost for the first time as a professional last month to Sergio Martinez, and he tested positive for marijuana in a post-fight drug test.

For the positive test, Chavez Jr. was fined $20,000 by the WBC and is suspended until he completes a drug-rehabilitation program.

Sulaiman said that Chavez Jr. has sent insults his way, so there may be a connection to that and the airing of Chavez Jr.'s dirty laundry, but that may never be known.

If Chavez Jr. indeed has a gambling problem, then he must address those issues, in addition to his drug problem, before resuming his still-bright boxing career.

A possible hefty payday looms for Chavez Jr., as a rematch with Sergio Martinez could take place next year and be held at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, Texas, which holds up to 110,000 people.

Chavez Jr. could end up being the latest sports star that ends his career with no money if the alleged gambling problem is not taken care of as soon as possible.