With 2009 spring training underway, I thought I'd take a moment to remember all of the fond memories I have of the New York Yankees, and the obvious ways people around us can tell that we're die hard fans. Without further ado here are the top ten reasons you know your a fan of the Bronx Bombers.
1. The only advice your father ever gave you about marriage is, "I don't care if you're gay, straight, marry outside your race, marry a satanist, as long as they are not a Red Sox fan".
2. A weekend trip with your parents meant traveling to Columbia-Presbyterian medical center to view what used to be home plate at Hilltop Park where the Highlanders played—170 years before you were born!
3. The painting above your fireplace is not of Jesus, nor the family, but of Babe Ruth hugging Lou Gehrig.
4. The only days off from school you're allowed to have, even if you're near death, are when the Red Sox are in town or during the ALDS. All of those days if you're lucky.
5. You always play as the Yankees in MLB The Show '09, and you always change the settings so they win no matter what.
6. You feel Barry Bonds should have an asterisk on his record, A-Rod should not.
7. You curse the millionaires that run this country and walk all over the little guy, but you'll be damned if people use that analogy on the Yankees!
8. It doesn't matter to you if the Yanks take the division, so long as the Red Sox come in last!
9. If any girlfriend, no matter how cool or hot they are, ever talks badly about your Don Larson bobblehead they are walking!
10. You have two loves—The Yankees and the Red Sox—you love to hate the Red Sox!