NHL Lockout: News and Notes from Week 1 for the Boston Bruins

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
NHL Lockout: News and Notes from Week 1 for the Boston Bruins
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
Jordan Caron is bound for the Ocean State while a handful of teammates are going across one ocean or another for the NHL lockout.

Two Boston Bruins prospects have scored a hat trick within the first weekend of the Ontario Hockey League’s 2012-13 season. Though no more than three games-played apiece, all five Boston draftees in the major-junior ranks are already on the board in either the point or win column.

Winger Anthony Camara commenced the OHL season with a three-goal outburst as part of the Barrie Colts 6-4 victory over the Ottawa 67s this past Thursday night.

Camara chipped in an assist the following night and added another goal on Sunday, giving him a hand in five of Barrie’s nine strikes so far.

Elsewhere in the OHL, with a 2-1-3 scoring log, Seth Griffith co-piloted London’s 8-2 romp of the Guelph Storm on Sunday. With that on top of his three goals in an identical 8-2 victory over Erie on Friday, he stands alone at the top of the league’s goal-getting leaderboard.

Raw as these stats may be in the unripe stages of the season, it is never exactly discouraging to be ahead and the Bruins have Griffith and Camara leading all OHL strikers so far.

On the other side of the puck, goaltender Malcolm Subban has won his first two decisions with the Belleville Bulls, repelling 60 out of 63 shots to stymie the Sarnia Sting, 3-1 and Cody Payne’s Plymouth Whalers, 3-2. He is presently tied for third among OHL goalies in both goals-against average and save percentage.

 

Payne and Dougie Hamilton of the Niagara Ice Dogs are off to comparatively “slower” starts with one point apiece. Payne tallied Plymouth’s first goal in a 6-5 overtime loss Friday night, while Hamilton set up a power-play strike in Niagara’s 4-2 opening night win on Thursday.

Ascending the ranks to the AHL, Providence has assembled a training camp roster of 34 players who will convene at the Rhode Island Sports Center for a week of preseason practice beginning Friday, Sept. 28.

Prominent participants include Chris Bourque, of a family that needs no introduction, and seven skaters who have seen regular-season action in Boston, most notably Jordan Caron.

Tyler Seguin, who could not be assigned to the farm due to his cumulative NHL games-played, will instead pass the time during the work stoppage in Switzerland.

Goaltender Anton Khudobin will likewise be conspicuous by his absence in Providence and New England as he takes to the KHL. Defenseman Andrew Ference and center David Krejci are each headed for Krejci’s native Czech Republic.

Dennis Seidenberg is likewise homeward bound, raring to join his brother, Yannic, on the Mannheim Eagles of the top German league.

Nathan Horton has declared that he will stay away from competitive action for the duration of the lockout. Although his agent, Paul Krepelka, told WEEI’s Big Bad Blog that the decision to rest is unrelated to his recent concussion history, it will still probably prove to be a prudent move in that regard.

Off-and-on Horton linemate Milan Lucic, may likewise be avoiding overseas action, though he told espnboston.com that could change if the NHL does not restore normal operation soon enough.

Load More Stories