The IPL has almost everything today. Multi-million dollar players whose astonishing salaries make a mockery of the current "recession", crazy celebrity owners who are more revered than a pharoah's first-born, a dedicated and ever-growing audience, excitement, controversies, cheerleaders, everything!
But if you add one more spice, this recipe would be complete.
How about bringing back an obnoxious but ferocious character named—Navjyot Singh Sidhu back into the commentary box?!
Anyone who has watched cricket on TV in the early years of this decade will be quite familiar with his adventurous color commentary, which changed the rules in the commentary box forever.
The once flamboyant Indian batsman used his often absurd remarks, witty comebacks, and strange logic to bamboozle his co-commentator but entertain the audience.
He often took swipes at his "friend" Sir Geoffrey Boycott, dominated poor Harsha Bhogle, left Mr. Ravi Shastri confused, Martin Crowe speechless, and left Danny Morrison in splits!
Want to take a trip down the memory-lane you say? Here are some select "Sidhuisms" in no specific order of merit.
- Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald.
- Third umpires should be changed as often as nappies and for the same reason.
- Wickets are like wives - you never know which way they will turn!
- Statistics are like miniskirts, they reveal more than what they hide.
- Still waters run deep. The Indians were so still in the 3rd test that they ran into deep oceans
- The wily fox is back. Its an ill omen when a fox licks its lambs.
- His slower ball was so slow that my mama can run faster than that
- Ganguly moves so slowly on the field like jack of jack n jill who goes to fetch a pail of runs for the opposition...
- For Sir Geoffrey Boycott - a hair on head is worth two in the brush
- The ball went so high up in the air that it kissed an air-hostess on its way back.
- Women are worse than wine - They intoxicate both the holder and the beholder (when a female was shown on TV screen)
- Deep Dasgupta is as confused as a child is in a topless bar!
- "Eddie Nichols is a man who cannot find his own buttocks with his two hands."
- In London they drive on the left, in India we drive on what is left!
Imagine this guy providing his priceless opinions in the IPL matches, oy! Imagine the hilarity that can erupt when he comments on Murali bowling to Yuvraj Singh, or Freddy Flintoff facing Shane Warne!
Although a politician by profession now, he spends most of his time on reality TV shows anyways. So Mr. Lalit Modi, why not make him an offer to woo him back into the commentary box?
I'm sure we'd all like another dose of "helpless like a midget at a urinal" or "more difficult than milking an ox" and what not.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!