It is clear the Nationwide series has an identity issue. With Cup drivers winning the last three championships, there is little distinction, aside from the cars, between the two series.
Due to this I shall present the true Nationwide standings on a weekly basis. No driver that is competing in a full Sprint Cup season is allowed to accrue any points towards the Nationwide championship.
So without further ado, I give you the Nationwide Top Ten in points after one event.
- Jason Keller 143 - Last Week: Keller was the only Nationwide regular to score a top ten finish, coming home ninth.
- Joe Nemechek -19 - Last Week: NEMCO Motorsports came back after a two year absence to score a top fifteen finish. Whether or not Nemechek does run a full Cup season dictates his championship eligibility.
- Michael McDowell -22 - Last Week: In his debut with JTG-Daugherty Motorsports, McDowell gave the team a solid top fifteen run.
- Kenny Wallace -23 - Last Week: Making his eighteenth Nationwide start at Daytona, Wallace equaled his average finish of the track of fifteenth.
- Brendan Gaughan -25 - Last Week: Making his first Nationwide start in eight years, and second ever, Gaughan had a solid showing, coming home with a top twenty finish
- DJ Kennington -31 - Last Week: On Thursday, Kennington recorded his best career Nationwide starting position and backed it up on Saturday with his best ever finishing position, coming home seventeenth
- Mark Green -34 - Last Week: Green recorded his best finish in over six months, driving his Dodge to a eighteenth place finish
- Mike Wallace -37 - Last Week: Despite missing the Daytona 500 field, Wallace was able to bring his #01 Chevy home just inside of the top twenty
- Brad Keselowski -41 - Last Week: A good finish ruined by bad luck, 2008 championship contender Keselowski looks to bounce back next week at California
- John Wes Townley -43 - Last Week: Making just his fourth Nationwide start, Townley recorded his best career finish, twenty-first, which has allowed him to sneak into the Nationwide Top Ten
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!