Texas Tech-Baylor: Red Raiders Rally Past Bears

Andrew GloverCorrespondent IFebruary 8, 2009

Last Wednesday the Texas Tech Red Raiders let a 14-point lead slip away at Oklahoma State. However, this time the Red Raiders would rally from a 10-point second half deficit to defeat the Baylor Bears 83-76 in Lubbock.

The Red Raiders (12-11, 2-6) snap a four game losing streak and a three-game home losing streak. In addition, the Red Raiders beat the Bears for the first time since their home finale in 2007.

Alan Voskuil and John Roberson led the Red Raiders in scoring with 18 points each. Robert Lewandowski contributed 15 points.

Michael Prince led the team in rebounds with 10, Roberson led the team in assist with nine, and D’walyn Roberts led the team in blocks with three.

Tech shot 51 percent from the field, 50 percent from the three-point line and 66 percent from the free throw line.

The Bears (15-8, 3-6) have lost five in a row. The loss also snaps a three-game winning streak against the Red Raiders.

Curtis Jerrells led the Bears in scoring with 20 points, Kevin Rogers contributed 17, LaceDarius Dunn had 13 and Tweety Carter had 12.

Rogers led the Bears in rebounds with nine and in blocks with one. Henry Dugat and Jerrells led the team in assists with two.

Baylor shot 40 percent from the field, 39 percent from three-point territory and 95 percent in free throws.

After the Red Raiders led 41-38 at halftime, Carter hit a three-pointer on Baylor’s first possession to tie the game at 41. The game went back-and-forth for three minutes, when Baylor went on a 12-0 run.

Dunn was fouled by Roberson while shooting a three-pointer, and made all three free throws. Rogers scored seven points during that span.

Tech rallied and got the deficit down to five, with Voskuil scoring four points in two seconds. Voskuil made two free throws and made a jumper after Rogers was called for a foul.

Jerrells brought the Baylor lead back to 10, hitting a jumper and a three-pointer. The Red Raiders went on a 13-3 run to tie the game at 65 with over six-and-a-half minutes left in the game.

Roberson scored six of Tech’s 13 during the run, and Nick Okorie hit the three-pointer that tied the game for the first time since the beginning of the second half.

Tech and Baylor would go back and forth until the last two minutes of the game. Lewandowski hit a layup to give Tech a 75-73 lead with 2:01 left in the game. Prince made one of two free throws following a Carter foul. Roberts made a layup to give Tech a 78-73 lead with 54 seconds left in the game.

The Red Raiders will travel to Manhattan, Kansas, to play the Kansas State Wildcats (16-7, 5-4). The Bears will host the No. 2 Oklahoma Sooners (23-1, 9-0).