- Melvin defends Weeks as a leadoff hitter. I think it’s pretty clear Rickie will be hitting at the top of the order again in ‘09.
- In-Between Hops says there is a 30 percent chance the Brewers could be the twelfth team in MLB history to have four 30 home run hitters and a 7 percent chance to be the first team to ever have five.
- Over 10,000 fans attended the On Deck event Saturday and more than 2,000 attended the Winter Warm-Up on Friday. Think fans are excited about the season (despite the free agency losses)? I was at the Warm-Up on Friday and it was a blast.
- Bill Schroeder, Darren Sutton and Doug Melvin have all chatted with 540 ESPN since Thursday and their interviews are archived HERE.
Rumors and Speculation
- Peter Gammons says Randy Wolf, Jon Garland and Braden Looper are all getting offers in the $5 million per year range, plus incentives and options. That seems like a very nice bargain. I hope the Brewers are at least kicking the tires on these guys still (especially Looper).
- The Diamond Hoggers comments on how ugly the Pirates are. Glad we’re not the only ones who noticed.