This is a huge game as we enter the UEFA Champions League semifinal first-leg matches. The main storyline on this match between two of Europe's most well known football teams—Bayern Munich and Real Madrid—is not the as much the game as it is the coach.
Real Madrid’s Jose Mourinho is attempting to be the first manager to win the UEFA Champions League with three different teams.
The game will air on Fox Soccer at 2 p.m. ET on Tuesday April 17th.
In a conference call today with Fox Soccer analyst Eric Wynalda, this is how he sees the game.
Wynalda spoke of Real Madrid:
Not just because they have a very slight cushion in La Liga, but I really do believe Real Madrid will walk away as the Champions League winner this year, and that’s going to massive.
Wynalda on the Champions League fortunes of Real's Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lionel Messi:
Both of them are phenomenal. They are very different people and very different players, but I do believe going into this competition that Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid are more poised to win than Lionel Messi and Barcelona"
- Bayern Munich and Real Madrid have won a combined 13 European Cups/Champions League titles (four and nine, respectively).
- Real Madrid has never won away to Bayern Munich, losing in eight of nine trips to Germany.
- These two teams last met in the 2006-2007 UEFA Champions League campaign in the round of 16. Bayern progressed on away goals (4-4).
- Real Madrid has won the most games in this season's Champions League; nine out of 10 matches played
- Bayern's Mario Gomez has scored 10 goals in four Champions League starts at the Allianz Arena, and has scored half of his team's UCL goals this term (11 of 22).
- Real's Cristiano Ronaldo is third in Champions League scoring, with 8 goals to his name.
* All statistics courtesy of Opta and Fox Soccer
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!