Clearly, as a microblogging/thought-casting app, Twitter’s at a critical mass. I’ve compiled a thorough list of the teams, players, media personalities and bloggers on Twitter. This is by no means every sports-related Twitter user, but it’s a large chunk. Read on for more.
The Athletes, Coaches, and Teams
- New Jersey Nets: Just updates by some unpaid intern.
- Dallas Mavericks: I don’t think it’s Cuban.
- Chicago Cubs: Should be done from Sweet Lou’s perspective.
- Chicago Blackhawks: Committed to the Twitter.
- Chicago Bears: Has RickRolled before, apologized.
- Natalie Gulbis: You, too, can learn everything about Natalie’s LPGA Tour schedule!
- Michael Phelps: Dubious veracity, unquestioned inactivity.
- Andy Murray: Because he’s the next big star?
- Pete Carroll: I expect frankness.
- Peyton Manning: That NYT article makes me think this is fake.
- Brett Favre: Fake and fake.
- Jerry Rice: Real.
- Eli Manning: Since brevity is the soul of Twit.
- Lance Armstrong: I believe it’s real.
- LeBron James: Probably fake. But LeBron news.
- Runner-Up: Curt Schilling: Pelt him with WoW questions.
- Best in Show: Shaquille O’Neal: Okay, but picture Shaq texting.
- Rob Neyer: May or may not still exist.
- Jonah Keri: Wait, he’s funny?
- Best Damn Sports Show: Period.
- New York Times: Bland, but good links.
- NBC Sports: I’m betting it’s not Bob Costas maintaining it.
- FOX Sports: But this is definitely Siragusa.
- Sky Sports: For the footie fans.
- ESPN: Just headlines.
- USA Today: Hey, a McTwitter!
- Gainesville Sun’s Gatorsports: Good UF coverage from the hometown paper.
- JoeSportsFan: Your average blogging Joes, both links and talk.
- Skeets: That’s not his picture.
- Club Trillion: You need to read the blog.
- Will Leitch: The black-shirted face of sports blogging.
- DC Sports Bog: Nice, clean links from the inestimable Steinberg.
- Dan Shanoff: Everyone’s favorite Tebow fan.
- Rocky Top Talk: Mostly links, but it’s impressive for being from the only Internet connection in Knoxville.
- Signal To Noise: Yeah, he’s funny.
- I Party With Smoot: Also funny, and needs friends.
- Nightmare Ant: You’ve been warned.
- Deadspin: A.J. knows it’s not well-maintained.
- National Football Post: It’s an RSS feed, but you need to read this blog.
- Pro Football Talk: Good blog, pathetic Twitter.
- Big League Stew: A feed.
- Burnt Orange Nation: Wherein Peter Bean cops to buying Gmail storage.
- Tuffy: Like LeVar Burton, but about sports.
- Jamie Mottram: Not entirely irrelevant.
- Hugging Harold Reynolds: That name always makes me chuckle.
- Gaslamp Ball: If you should ever need to read about the Padres…
- Drew Magary: He should post more.
- Sarah Spain: We do remember her, right?
- Henry Abbott/TrueHoop: Really, a blogger at heart, and a great one.
- Out in Center Field: Texy’s good Sox blog.
- On Frozen Blog: Even though the background’s awful.
- Corky Gaines/Rays Index: This is how good backgrounds look.
- Rob Iracane/Walk Off Walk: Who else continues to use Jersey as an avatar?
- On the DL Podcast: The world needs more Dan Levy.
- Bleacher Report: Uneven, like the site, with occasional gems.
- The 700 Level: Just so I can type Enrico Campitelli.
- MGoBlog: Just a feed.
- Runner-Up: Nastinchka: Otherwise known as Venom in Vol Orange.
- Best of Show: EDSBS: Orson’s funnier than all of us.
What It Means
Now, with that, and with the news that Twitter’s bigger than Digg, it makes sense for there to be an online clearinghouse of all these sports figures’ accounts. That’s where I come in.
Starting tomorrow, one of the pages on this blog will be an updated list of all the athletes, bloggers, and mainstream media outlets with newsworthy or entertaining Twitter feeds. I’ll be checking everyday for the new ones, and adding any the world at large thinks I’ve overlooked. To report an omission, or get your feed removed from the list, simply comment on that page or email me at my new address (that’s firstname.lastname@example.org if the link doesn’t work), and I’ll get right on it.
Oh, and feel free to follow me, too. I’m not funny, or an athlete. But I’m there.
Happy tweeting, folks.Posted in Bloggers, Media Personalities, Social Media, Whimsy