The Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames have made some big-time trades over the years, and when Dion Phaneuf was shipped to Hogtown for a package that included Matt Stajan, another chapter was added to that interesting history.
Stajan, a hometown boy made good in Toronto, seemed to be on the upswing of his career; he made the move west looking to create some chemistry with his new teammates and help the club in its pursuit of the ultimate goal of winning the Stanley Cup.
Since his arrival, there would be few that would argue, including Stajan himself, that things have not always gone as well as planned. Between coaching changes, injuries, altering linemates and a changing role, Stajan has experienced a gamut of situations and emotions in Calgary, all the while maintaining his poise, professionalism and hard work, and constantly showing his support for his teammates.
Now, with the 2011-12 season coming down to the final weeks, the Flames are in a tooth-and-nail battle for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Stajan has been key to the Flames’ recent strong play to get back in the playoff picture, as he has re-emerged in finding his scoring touch, while playing key first-line minutes in these ever-important games.
After a slow start to the season, Stajan has found the score sheet with regularity recently, helping the Flames earn those all-important points needed to stay in the hunt. His drive to continue to produce—and the satisfaction that is evident in his game on his face and in his ability to bring his best when the season is on the line—is obvious when watching him play.
Knowing his heart and dedication, fans can expect to see more from Stajan before the story of this season is completely written.
- Stajan has been a catalyst for the Flames recently, recording eight points in the past eight games, including three goals in four games this past week.
- After battling some injuries, Stajan seems healthy and motivated to finish the 2011-12 season strong and help the Flames get to the playoffs.
- Stajan has consistently been a solid teammate, dedicated NHLPA member and strong community leader, involved in a wide array of charitable causes in both Toronto and Calgary, including his current role as the Flames ambassador for the Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- Born in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada on Dec. 19, 1983.
- Drafted in the second round, 57th overall, by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2002 NHL entry draft.
- Honed his skills in junior hockey in the Ontario Hockey League with the Belleville Bulls.
- Stajan represented Canada internationally at the 2003 IIHF World Junior Championships, capturing a silver medal.