- Mark goes on the record to talk about his feelings about implementing a salary cap in baseball. He basically said a salary cap is needed to set parameters from a business standpoint, especially when the economy is in turmoil. I think it’s very smart of Mr. Attanasio to distinguish that this argument isn’t just about the ability to compete, but is more about the ability to survive in any economy. All sides of the argument have a valid point, but coming from a small-market fan viewpoint, I believe there needs to be a ceiling before teams can no longer afford even arbitration.
- Michael Hunt believes that the time might be right for a Prince Fielder trade. He cites Prince’s weight issues, desire to become a free agent as soon as he can, and expensive arbitration years, not to mention the Brewers' overall lack of starting pitching depth as reasons to trade the big fella. I don’t think any of this press or any of the fan blogs hoping for a blockbuster trade will make him feel any worse about leaving the team in a couple years. I have more, but it’ll be on the next RFB minute on Friday.
- Speaking of Mike Hunt (Simpsons reference, anyone?), he apparently compared Jeff Suppan to Jeff Hammonds, and Chuckie Hacks isn’t having any of it. I agree it’s unfair, but he does qualify for the Teddy Higuera curse.
- By the way, Team Wisconsin reminds everyone catchers report in less than 30 days. After a disappointing football season in Wisconsin, I am very excited for this season.
- ESPN rumors said the Rangers are still looking at Ben Sheets. It’s gotten to the point that if ANYONE signs Sheets for even a slightly reasonable amount, I’m going to be disappointed.
- The Brew Town Beat asks for a moment of silence for Guillermo…either that or a ceremonial playing of “Sister Christian.”
- Between the Green Pillars is on Cody Scarpetta. He sounds like he has some real promise.
- And since it is a joint venture, Bernie's Crew discusses Zach Braddock.
- Seriously, this is still going on? Again, wake me up when a decision is made.
- Astros might be done dealing this offseason. Really shored up that pitching staff for good ol’ Coop, didn’t ya?
- Baseball Tonight is doing their yearly “30 teams in 30 days” this offseason. The Cards are up.
- Former Brewer Updates: Gabe Gross re-signed with Tampa and Scotty Po re-signed with Colorado. Also, Greg Aquino signed a deal with Cleveland.