Kings- Warriors: Sacramento Survives Triple Overtime to Win 135-133

Jason ColdironCorrespondent IJanuary 15, 2009

The Kings came in off of an embarrassing 37-point loss at home last night.

After the game, Kevin Martin was quoted as saying, "We won't come out like that again. It's time to make people accountable because that was just embarrassing to me. We are a joke right now, that's how people look at us."

Martin backed up his words tonight, leading the Kings to victory 135-133 in triple overtime in one of the most exciting games I’ve seen in a very long time.

Martin would finish with 23 points and made the big plays in double and triple overtime.

The Kings came out and quickly showed that they had something to prove. John Salmons had 12 first-quarter points and the Kings led 31-20.

In the second quarter the Warriors tried to stand their ground. They attacked the rim relentlessly and closed the lead to four points. In the final minute of the quarter, however, they were outscored 7-2 and the Kings led 57-48 at the half.

In the third quarter the lead would swell to 13 points before a Warriors run to end the period. Headed to the fourth quarter, the Kings led 85-77.

The Warriors came out fast and furious in the fourth quarter. They went on a 13-0 run and took a five point lead.

The Kings struck back as the teams went back and forth.

The game got extremely physical, with players hitting the deck nearly every play. The referees chose to let hard fouls go uncalled and instead blew their whistles for ticky-tacky fouls and technical fouls when the players dared complain. After a particularly bad sequence Kings Center Brad Miller was literally left in tears.

Kevin Martin tied the game for the Kings with 21 seconds remaining.

Jamaal Crawford missed a shot to win with two seconds left and the teams went to overtime.

The Warriors took a quick five point lead early in the extra period. Then Corey Maggette and Andris Biedrins fouled out.

Kevin Martin led the Kings back by making two key shots and drawing a charge with 30 seconds left. He had a shot to win at the buzzer but was blocked from behind and the teams went to double overtime.

In the second overtime it looked like the Warriors had the game in hand. Trailing by five points with 39 seconds left the Kings had the ball. Kevin Martin got to the line and made two free throws. The Kings got a stop and had no timeouts with seven seconds left. They got the ball to Martin, who rushed up the court and got a good look at a three-pointer. The shot went up and in, sending the teams to triple overtime tied at 127.

Triple overtime became a war of attrition. Many players were playing in foul trouble and the rest were playing on fumes.

The teams went back and forth yet again.

Tied at 133, the Kings had the ball with time winding down. Martin missed a jumper and the ball bounced long off the rim and landed in the hands of John Salmons. Salmons turned and drained a shot from the right corner with just over a second left.

Jamaal Crawford got one last look at a three for the win, but it drew rim and bounced away as the Kings survived to win 135-133.

In a game like this there were obviously heroes on both sides.

For the Kings, Brad Miller had an incredible 30 points and 22 rebounds. John Salmons had 25 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists. Beno Udrih had 17 points, seven assists and six rebounds. Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia managed to play through all three overtimes with five fouls each.

The Warriors were led by Jamaal Crawford’s 35 points. C.J Watson added 26 points and six assists.

The Warriors had won three of their previous four home games. They were, however, playing without guard Marco Belinelli (ankle), Stephen Jackson (hamstring), Brandan Wright (shoulder) and Monta Ellis (ankle).

The Kings move to 10-30 on the season and will next host Milwaukee on Friday.