Sarah Burke, the 29-year-old professional freestyle skier who slipped into a coma after a serious accident on January 10, has yet to have any new prognosis reported.
According to Paul Foy of the Huffington Post, Burke has remained on a breathing tube and is sedated as doctors continue to test her brain functions.
A news conference scheduled for yesterday ended up being cancelled by her publicist and agent as the family had nothing new that they wanted to report.
Burke is continually being worked on by doctors, but her agent said the situation could remain tenuous for days or possibly even weeks longer.
She underwent a surgery to repair damaged arteries in her neck that were causing damage to parts of the brain that control critical functions.
"With injuries of this type, we need to observe the course of her brain function before making definitive pronouncements about Sarah's prognosis for recovery," said Dr. William Couldwell, the neurosurgeon who performed the operation in a statement last week.
It’s good that Dr. Couldwell and his team are standing by her side and no one is ready to give up on Burke.
She needs all the support she can get during these trying times, and despite the fact that her family refused to comment on her status after reviewing her brain scans and reflex tests, it does not mean they are quitting on her.
It must be immensely hard to speak about their loved one to a gathered core of press members, which makes it understandable that they wish to remain mum unless they are sure that they have positive news to report.