Updates from Tuesday, August 19
Joe Mixon took to Twitter to tell his fans how he's feeling about yesterday's news of getting suspended for the entire 2014 season:
Comeback Season In The Work But Now I'm Thinking Bigger 💯— ⚡PRIMETIME!!!JULY24⚡ (@Joe_MainMixon) August 19, 2014
The Oklahoma Sooners announced Monday that running back Joe Mixon has been suspended for the entire 2014 college football season.
NFL.com's Bryan Fischer reported the news on Twitter, and included an official statement from Oklahoma on Mixon's punishment:
Oklahoma statement on RB Joe Mixon, he's suspended for the season: pic.twitter.com/vMmQ82E5tK— Bryan Fischer (@BryanDFischer) August 18, 2014
Mixon was a 5-star recruit in the Class of 2014 out of Freedom High School in Oakley, California, coming in as the 21st overall prospect in the nation and the No. 4 all-purpose back, per 247Sports' composite rankings.
Unfortunately, Mixon has possibly made a major misstep before even setting foot on the gridiron in Norman. According to OKCFox.com's Jay Dillon, Mixon has been arraigned on charges after a physical altercation with a woman.
The report outlines more details of the alleged incident, and Mixon had been ordered to turn himself in by 4 p.m. on Monday:
Police said they were called to investigate an assault at Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe just after 2:30 a.m. on Friday, July 25. Norman police say Mixon was an "involved party" in the incident but stopped short of calling him a suspect. Police say Mixon and a 20-year-old female got into an altercation and it turned physical and ended with the woman having injuries to her face.
SoonerScoop.com's RJ Young supplied information regarding the arraignment at Cleveland County Courthouse, which occurred hours before Mixon's suspension was announced:
JOE MIXON: Is being processed through the jail. Was released on his own reconnaissance because he's in school and deemed not a flight risk.— RJ Young (@RJ_Young) August 18, 2014
JOE MIXON: Judge Stice mentioned OU is conducting its own investigation.— RJ Young (@RJ_Young) August 18, 2014
JOE MIXON: No plea was entered at the arraignment. It wasn't even a topic that was brought up.— RJ Young (@RJ_Young) August 18, 2014
Young then compared the Sooners' current crop of ball-carriers to the other loaded backfields Oklahoma has had during head coach Bob Stoops' tenure:
This is one of the most inexperienced RB groups of the Stoops Era. Like @Eddie_Rado said, post-practice availability should be fun today.— RJ Young (@RJ_Young) August 18, 2014
The Sooners lost three of their top four rushers from 2013 in Brennan Clay, Damien Williams and Roy Finch. Starting dual-threat quarterback Trevor Knight is the only one of that quartet returning. An opportunity was imminent for Mixon to have an immediate impact as a true freshman until this alleged altercation.
This situation has at least brought immediate closure in terms of Mixon's status for the 2014 campaign. A once bright future for Mixon is now in doubt, especially now that he is unable to establish himself and develop within the program for a significant period of time.
Offensive coordinator Josh Heupel will have to rely heavily on Knight's talents in hopes of Oklahoma competing for a College Football Playoff spot this season. The next man up to potentially grab the No. 1 running-back spot figures to be sophomore Keith Ford, who ran for 134 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries last year.