The expectations for the West Virgina Mountaineers this year have definitely been varied depending on who you talked to before our loss to LSU on Saturday.
Some imagined an undefeated season, of which I was guilty. Some imagined a one or two loss season, which now is more reality and the focus for our Mountaineers.
Take from the loss what you want; four turnovers, bad special teams play, 10 penalties for 73 yards, 533 yards of total offense or two receivers with over 100 yards. The fact is it was a mixed bag, some good, more bad. Nevertheless, WVU fans should be extremely optimistic.
Below I have compiled a list of things we as West Virginia fans can be positive of.
1) It was only the 4th game of the season. I believe that this game would have hurt a lot more had it been the last game of the regular season or a bowl game.
2) LSU was rewarded with a number one ranking by defeating the Mountaineers. Which in all reality is a compliment to West Virginia, and the three ranked teams they beat before us.
3) ITS CALLED GROWING PAINS! We have a ways to go to get where we ultimately want to be, but you have to like the direction we are heading in.
4) Dana Holgorsen's three most recent quarterbacks are also the top three quarterbacks in passing yards this season.
5) Tavon Austin has accumulated 423 yards on 31 receptions so far in only four games.
How many more losses will the Mountaineers have this season?
6) The pressure is off for an undefeated season. This means that there is not so much to loose whenever the Mountaineers take the field, and hopefully this will calm the players some. Without so much on the line they can relax, think about what they are doing and hopefully commit less mistakes and make smarter plays.
If WVU can develop a decent running game to compliment Geno Smith and his receivers, then West Virginia will be an even greater force to be reckoned with.
Let me know what your thinking, post your comments.