Best not get too attached to that big board, folks.
No matter how good a player's stock looks in July or August, the 2013 college football season is the primary trial for the 2014 NFL draft. And with the season about to kick off, several highly regarded players could be in store for a fall in the fall.
Don't believe me? Take a quick look at B/R draft guru Matt Miller's mock draft from last August. Here are some highlights from the first round:
- No. 1: QB Logan Thomas, VT
- No. 2: CB David Amerson, NCST
- No. 3: WR Keenan Allen, CAL
- No. 5: QB Matt Barkley, USC
- No. 7: QB Tyler Wilson, ARK
- No. 11: OT Ricky Wagner, WIS
- No. 15: LB Sean Porter, A&M
- No. 19: OT Alex Hurst, LSU
- No. 23: LB Nico Johnson, ALA
- No. 26: DE William Gholston, MSU
- No. 29: WR Kenny Stills, OU
That's not an indictment of Miller's prognosticatory powers. He's a veteran scout who's incredibly good at his job. This is simply the nature of the business.
So try not to complain if you see your favorite player on your favorite team on this list. I promise I don't have it out for them or you.
Just remember: USC fans would have started a riot if they saw Matt Barkley here last season.