A lot of attention during the BCS Championship game was given to Dominique Franks saying Tim Tebow would be the fourth-best QB in the big 12. I wondered how Tim Tebow ranked as far as a QB's performance against OU this season. Doing a little research, it seems Franks overestimated Tebow.
For QB rating against the OU team this season, Tebow graded out as the sixth-best QB to play against OU this season.
Player Team QB Rating
- Zac Robinson, Oklahoma St. 177.83
- C. McCoy, Texas 155.91
- Josh Freeman, Kansas St. 143.24
- Ronnie Fouch, Washington 140.62
- Todd Reesing, Kansas 134.94
- T. Tebow, Florida 133.62
- D. Grutza, Cincinnati 133.14
- Graham Harrell, Texas Tech 129.50
- Chase Daniel, Missouri 126.32
- Jake Locker, Washington 120.57
- Andy Dalton, TCU 81.56
- Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M 77.12
- Robert Griffin, Baylor 66.54
- Joe Ganz, Nebraska 53.8
- Tony Pike, Cincy 25.13
- All QB, Chattanooga just really Bad
That may not be how some people judge a QB. Let's look at points scored against OU. This time Tebow ranks a mediocre eighth.
Player Team Points against OU
- C. McCoy, Texas 45
- Zac Robinson, Oklahoma St. 41
- Josh Freeman, Kansas St. 35
- Todd Reesing, Kansas 31
- Joe Ganz, Nebraska 28
- Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M 28
- D. Grutza, Tony Pike, Cincinnati 26
- T. Tebow, Florida 24
- Graham Harrell, Texas Tech 21
- Chase Daniel, Missouri 21
- Robert Griffin, Baylor 17
- Jake Locker, Ronnie Fouch, Washington 14
- Andy Dalton, TCU 10
- All QB Chattanooga 2
The points scored may not be entirely fair either, without examining the defensive or special teams scores.
Each QB could be rated based on yards passing, completion percentage, total yardage, or best hairdo. The only category Tebow was No. 1 in against OU is total rushing yardage for a QB.
The conclusion of all this: Lay off Dominique Franks—he was correct.
Congratulations to Florida on winning the National Championship. Maybe OU will meet UF in next year's BCS Championship game?