NBA Agent Analysis: The Top 8 Agents in Basketball
An agent is a person in charge of negotiations and player contracts.
Each NBA player has an agent, who could represent more than one NBA player, even 15 or 20. Other agents are humbler and only represent one player. It's very usual for NBA stars to change agents when an important event is going to happen, like the explosive free agent market of 2012.
The last player who changed his agent is Deron Williams, who is now represented by Jeff Schwartz, but is Schwartz the best agent in NBA?
No. 8: Mark Bartelstein
Mark Bartelstein is the founder and the actual CEO in Priority Sports & Entertainment. Mark graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and he earned a Master in Business Administration in 1984. Bartelstein has a high knowledge of the intricacies of the NFL salary cap and he also represents more than 70 NFL players, including quarterbacks Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme and Robert Gallery
- Guards: Mo Williams, Nick Young, Eddie House, Will Bynum, Charlie Bell, James Posey, Brandon Rush, Trey Johnson, Acie Law, Chris Quinn, Earl Watson, Reggie Jackson, Shannon Brown, Jordan Crawford, E'Twaun Moore, Jannero Pargo, DeShawn Stevenson, Dominic McGuire.
- Forwards: Danny Granger, David Lee, Taj Gibson, Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Louis Amundson, Luke Harangody, Jared Dudley, James Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Brian Cook, Othyus Jeffers, Damion James, DeMarre Carrol, Marquis Daniels, Chandler Parsons, Damien Wilkins, Brian Cardinal, Steve Novak, Carl Landry, Jon Leuer, Jeff Adrien, Jason Smith, Kwame Brown.
- Centers: Ronny Turiaf, Brad Miller, Darius Songalia.
Salaries managed: $71,706,376
No. 7: Bill Duffy
Bill Duffy founded BDA Sports Management in 1998 and he has over 25 years of experience representing professional athletes. As a player, Duffy played at University of Minnesota and Santa Clara University. The Denver Nuggets drafted him as No. 109 in the 1982 draft.
- Guards: Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Brandon Jennings, Goran Dragic, Anthony Carter, Darren Collison,
- Forwards: Tayshaun Prince, Travis Outlaw, Hakim Warrick, Anthony Randolph, Al Thornton, Austin Daye, Chase Budinger, Earl Clark, Amir Johnson, Luke Babbitt, Chris Singleton, Klay Thompson, Andy Rautins, Jawad Williams,
- Centers: Andris Biedrins, Joel Przybilla, Hasheem Thabeet, Solomon Alabi,
Other players in Europe: Rasho Nesterovic, Louis Bullock, Jaka Lakovic, Matjaz Smodis, Travis Hansen, Zarko Cabarkapa, Toby Bailey, Horace Jenkins, Shan Foster, Allan Ray
Salaries managed: $85,789,901
No. 6: Andy Miller
Andy Miller works is the president and founder of ASM Sports, and he has represented the interests of athletes for the last 19 years. Andy has negotiated more than $700 million in contracts and endorsements since 1995.
- Guards: Chauncey Billups, Andre Miller, Kyle Lowry, Daniel Gibson, Eric Maynor, Sebastian Telfair, James Anderson, Josh Selby
- Forwards: Kevin Garnett, Serge Ibaka, Carlos Delfino, Ersan Ilyasova, Marreese Speights, JJ Hickson, Alec Burks, Malik Allen, Christian Eyenga, Antoine Wright, Rasual Butler, Gani Lawai, Devin Ebanks, Trevor Booker, Jordan Williams
- Centers: Brendan Haywood, Antonio McDyess, Omer Asik, Aaron Gray, Craig Brackins, Byron Mullens, Patrick O'Bryant
Other players in Europe: Richard Hendrix, Sammy Mejia, Reece Gaines, Milt Palacio, Ramel Bradley, Chris Thomas, Michael Ruffin, Jermareo Davidson
Salaries managed: $92,971,670
No. 5: Leon Rose
Leon Rose works for Creative Artists Agency since 2007. He graduated from Dickinson School of Law.
- Guards: Chris Paul, Rodney Stuckey, Ty Lawson, Carlos Arroyo, Richard Hamilton, Eric Bledsoe, Aaron Brooks, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Jonny Flynn
- Centers: Andrea Bargnani, Jonas Valanciunas, Eddy Curry, Jason Thompson, DeSagana Diop, Keith Benson
Other players in Europe: Allen Iverson, David Andersen, Malik Hairston, David Hawkins, Marc Jackson, Lynn Greer, Rawle Marshall
Salaries managed: $98,434,847
No. 4: Jeff Schwartz
Jeff Schwartz founded Excel Sports Management in 2002. This agency has just signed Deron Williams, who will be free agent and could unite interests with another player represented by ESM.
- Guards: Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Kemba Walker, Leandro Barbosa, Jerry Stackhouse, Jerryd Bayless, Jarrett Jack, Kyle Korver, Marco Belinelli, AJ Price and Armon Johnson
- Forwards: Paul Pierce, Blake Griffin, Lamar Odom, Kevin Love, Josh Howard, Tyler Hansbrough, Charlie Villanueva
- Centers: Tyson Chandler, Al Jefferson, Emeka Okafor, Michael Beasley, Chris Wilcox, Nikola Pekovic and Cole Aldrich
Other players in Europe: Ricky Davis, Furkan Aldemir, Bangaly Fofana, Leon Radosevic, Tomislav Zubcic, Luksa Andric, Nihad Djedovic, Hilton Armstrong and Ben Hansbrough
Salaries managed: $140,376,567
No. 3: Rob Pelinka
Rob Pelinka is the CEO of Landmark Sports Agency and is known mainly as Kobe Bryant's agent. He holds a Juris Doctor from the University of Michigan Law School, where he is a former basketball player, and a B.B.A Business degree from the same university.
- Guards: Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Sasha Vujacic, Wesley Johnson, Corey Maggette and Keyon Dooling
- Forwards: Andre Iguodala, Gerald Wallace, Derrick Williams, Carlos Boozer, James Harden, Channing Frye, Julian Wright and Ed Davis
- Centers: Chris Kaman
Salaries managed: $120,431,630
No. 2: Dan Fegan
Dan Fegan works for Lagardere Unlimited and contributed a lot in developing the "one-year opt out" and "sign-and-trade" contract provisions
- Guards: Ricky Rubio, Jason Terry, John Wall, Jason Richardson, Kevin Martin, Courtney Lee, Jrue Holiday, Rafer Alston, Von Wafer
- Forwards: Shawn Marion, Kris Humphries, Drew Gooden, Al Harrington, Jianlian Yi, Reggie Evans, Matt Carroll, Eduardo Nájera
- Centers: Dwight Howard, Nené Hilario, Anderson Varejao, Joe Smith, Kyrylo Fesenko, Melvin Ely
Other players in Europe: Troy Murphy, Juan Dixon, Jarvin Hayes, Nick Calathes, Coby Karl, Lucas Nogueira, Dermarr Johnson
Salaries managed: $132,598,262
No. 1: Arn Tellem
Arn Tellem works for Wasserman Media Group. He has worked as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Southern California, and it's very usual to see him as lecturer in sports law seminars and conferences. In 2006, Tellem was named the most influential agent in sports by Sport Business Journal and The Sporting News. He also represents 125 MLB players.
- Guards: Russell Westbrook, Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, JR Smith Tyreke Evans, Rudy Fernandez, Tracy McGrady, JJ Redick, TJ Ford, Brandon Knight, Jordan Farmar, Xavier Henry, Quincy Pondexter, Gerald Henderson,Wayne Ellington
- Forwards: LaMarcus Aldridge, Jan Vesely, Antawn Jamison, Danilo Gallinari, Mike Dunleavy, Martell Webster, Mike Miller, Shelden Williams, Jason Kapono, Ryan Gomes, Brian Scalabrine
- Centers: Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Kendrick Perkins, Al Horford, Jermaine O'Neal, Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez, DeAndre Jordan, Ben Wallace, Tiago Splitter, Dan Gadzuric, Jamaal Magloire, Spencer Hawes, Etan Thomas,Jarron Collins
Others players in Europe: Trajan Langdon, Curtis Borchardt, Victor Claver, Joel Freeland, Pablo Aguilar, Andrew Ogilvy, Davon Jefferson
Salaries managed: $176,173,371