NBA GM Survey Projects Warriors Will Win Championship, LeBron James Will Be MVP

Tim Daniels@TimDanielsBRFeatured ColumnistOctober 4, 2017

OAKLAND, CA - JUNE 12:  Kevin Durant #35 of the Golden State Warriors shakes hands with LeBron James #23 of the Cleveland Cavaliers after defeating the Cleveland Cavaliers 129-120 in Game 5 to win the 2017 NBA Finals at ORACLE Arena on June 12, 2017 in Oakland, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

The reigning champion Golden State Warriors were overwhelmingly selected to win the 2017-18 NBA championship in the annual general manager survey.

On Wednesday, John Schuhmann of NBA.com passed along results of this year's poll, which showed 93 percent of respondents chose the Dubs to win another title. The Cleveland Cavaliers received the remaining 7 percent of the vote.

Cavs superstar LeBron James received 50 percent of the GM vote for Most Valuable Player. He was followed by the Warriors' Kevin Durant (29 percent), the San Antonio Spurs' Kawhi Leonard (11 percent), the Houston Rockets' James Harden (7 percent) and Golden State's Stephen Curry (4 percent).

Here's a look at some of the other notable choices from the survey:

Rookie of the Year: Lonzo Ball (Los Angeles Lakers)

Best Defender: Leonard (Spurs)

Best Head Coach: Gregg Popovich (Spurs)

Best Shooter: Curry (Warriors)

Best Passer: James (Cavaliers)

Best International Player: Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks)

Best Offseason Moves: Oklahoma City Thunder

                     

                    

The GMs also chose the best player at each position, yielding the following starting lineup:

Point Guard: Curry (Warriors)

Shooting Guard: Harden (Rockets)

Small Forward: James (Cavaliers)

Power Forward: Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)

Center: Karl-Anthony Towns (Minnesota Timberwolves)

                                  

Towns received a lot of attention from the general managers. He was also the top choice for the question "if you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?" and was voted as the player with the best chance to have a breakout season.

Meanwhile, the survey didn't have many surprises. The front office executives project a two-team battle between the Cavs and Boston Celtics in the East and fierce competition featuring the Rockets, Spurs and Thunder behind the Warriors in the West.

Jason Lloyd of The Athletic noted the GMs' tendency to choose LeBron for MVP:

Stephen Campbell of OddsShark pointed out the oddsmakers still preferred defending MVP Russell Westbrook of the Thunder with 7-2 odds. He was followed by Durant (9-2), Leonard (13-2) and then James at (15-2) with Harden (8-1) rounding out the top five.

The Warriors are also the definitive Vegas favorite to win the title with 5-8 odds, per OddsShark.

Finally, the general managers were asked what rule most needs changing, and playoff seeding was the top vote-getter at 27 percent. The draft lottery, which received a revamped format last month, received 21 percent.

Related

    B/R Kicks Exclusive: Ayton & Bagley Sign with Puma

    NBA logo
    NBA

    B/R Kicks Exclusive: Ayton & Bagley Sign with Puma

    Master Tesfatsion
    via Bleacher Report

    Report: Cavs Have Made Calls to Spurs About Kawhi

    NBA logo
    NBA

    Report: Cavs Have Made Calls to Spurs About Kawhi

    Timothy Rapp
    via Bleacher Report

    ‘The NBA Gave Me My Depression’

    NBA logo
    NBA

    ‘The NBA Gave Me My Depression’

    Mirin Fader
    via Bleacher Report

    NBA Auctioning JR's Gm 1 Jersey

    NBA logo
    NBA

    NBA Auctioning JR's Gm 1 Jersey

    Scott Polacek
    via Bleacher Report