After the game three win vs. Boston in the 2010 Finals Kobe has now played in 1,215 career games, when you add regular season plus playoffs. This is the best and most definitive time to compare his numbers vs Michael Jordan's, who played in a reg. seas. plus playoff total of 1,251 NBA games.
So, you think Kobe is close to MJ just because he might or might not win a fifth ring? You are so wrong.
Kobe is only 36 games away from tying Jordan in total NBA games played. So let us compare their total (regular season PLUS playoff) numbers and their averages. Kobe may be on his way to five titles. Yet, he always seems to be one step behind MJ and is many, many percentage points behind too.
Minutes - In his total career Jordan totaled 48,484 minutes played for a 38.8 career average.
-In his total career Bryant totaled 45,005 minutes played for a 37.04 career average.
Edge - Jordan - Kobe has played 7.2% less minutes as Jordan did total, and 4.4% less per game.
Field Goals Made - In his total career Jordan hit 14,380 field goals for an 11.5 career average per game. Kobe hit 10,733 field goals for an average of 8.8 per game over his career.
Edge - Jordan - Kobe has made 25.4% less total field goals as Jordan in his career, and 23.2% less per game.
Field Goals Attempted - In his total career Jordan took 29,034 (23.2 per game) shots from the field and Kobe is at 23,651 (19.5 per game).
Edge - Jordan - Kobe has taken 18.5% less total shots than Jordan and taken 16.1% less shots per game.
Field Goal Percentage - Jordan total career - 50%, Kobe total career - 45%.
Edge - Jordan - everyone can plainly see Jordan shot a way better shooting % than Kobe - just watch a game and see - game 3 vs Boston 10/29 fg's (34.5%)
3 Pointers Made - In his total career Jordan hit 729 threes (0.6 per game) and Kobe has hit 1,555 threes (1.3 per game).
Edge- Bryant - Kobe has hit 46.9% more total threes than Jordan and 45.3% more threes per game.
3 Pointers Attempted - In his total career Jordan took 2,224 threes (1.78 per game) and Kobe took 4,579 threes (3.77 per game).
Edge- Bryant - Kobe took 51.4% more threes total; than Jordan and took 52.8% more threes per game.
3 Point Shooting Percentage - Jordan career total - 32.8%, Kobe total career - 34%
Edge - Bryant - barely
Free Throws Made - Jordan made 8,790 free throws in his total career (7.03 per game) and Kobe made 7,701 (6.34 per game)
Edge - Jordan - Kobe has made 12.4% less free throws total than Jordan and 9.8% less per game.
Free Throws Attempted - Jordan took 10,538 free throws in his career (8.4 per game) and Kobe took 9,230 (7.6 per game)
Edge - Jordan - Kobe had made 12.4% less free throws total than Jordan and 9.8% less per game.
Free Throw Percentage - They both hit exactly 83.4% for their careers.
Edge - Tie
Rebounds - Jordan grabbed 7,824 rebounds in his total career (6.3 per game) and Kobe grabbed 6,400 rebounds (5.27 per game).
Edge -Jordan - Kobe grabbed 18.2% less rebounds total that MJ in his his career and 15.7% less per game than Jordan
Assists - Jordan dished out 6,655 assists in his career (5.32 per game) and Kobe dished off for 5,710 assists (4.7 per game).
Edge- Jordan - Kobe passed off for 14.2% less assists than Jordan total and 11.7% less assists per game than Jordan.
Steals - In his total career Jordan stole the ball 2,890 times (2.31 per game) and Kobe stole the ball 1,824 times (1.5 per game).
Edge - Jordan - Kobe got 36.9% less steals total than Jordan and 35.1% less steals per game than Jordan.
Blocks -At (6'5") Jordan blocked 1,051 shots in his career (0.84 per game) and Kobe blocked 702 shots (0.58 per game).
Edge -Jordan - Kobe blocked 33.2% less total shots than Jordan and 31% less blocks per game than Jordan.
(BAD STAT) Turnovers - Jordan had 3,470 career turnovers (2.77 average) and Kobe has 3,550 turnovers (2.92 average).
Result - Kobe turned the ball over more often - Kobe already has 2.3% more turnovers total than Jordan and 5.1% more turnovers per game.
(BAD STAT) Personal Fouls - Jordan had 3,324 personal fouls (2.66 per game) and Kobe has 3,302 personal fouls (2.72 per game).
Result- Kobe fouled other players more often than Jordan - Jordan had 0.7% more total career personal fouls than Kobe but Kobe had 2.2% more personal fouls per game than Jordan.
Points - Jordan scored total 38,279 points (30.6 points per game over entire career including playoffs) and Kobe scored 30,722 points (25.29 points per game over entire career).
Edge - Jordan - Kobe Bryant has scored 19.7% less total points than Jordan, in almost exactly the same amount of games of MJ, and he 17.4% less points per game than Jordan over their careers.
In about exactly as many games as MJ, over 14 entire seasons this is how they stack up over the 17 categories. Remember - this is the perfect time to compare them because Kobe has basically reached Jordan in total reg.seas. plus playoffs games played.
Kobe was better at than Jordan at only 3 of 17 categories over all these years -
1. Kobe's biggest number is that he took 53% more threes per game than Jordan did.
2. Kobe made 45% more three pointers per game over his career than Jordan did.
3. Kobe shot ONLY 3.5% better three point percentage than Jordan over their careers.
Things Jordan was better at (especially defense) 14 of 17 categories - starting by biggest to smallest difference -
1. Jordan over his career was way better at steals than Kobe by the biggest margin between the two. Jordan stole 35.1% more than Kobe per game over their careers. This proves Jordan's number one biggest skill better than Kobe is defense.
2. Jordan's biggest career strength over Kobe was furthermore defense because in second place was that Jordan blocked 31% more shots per game than Kobe over their careers. Jordan is the greatest defensive guard of all-time, bar none!
3. Jordan made 23.2% more field goals per game than Kobe over their careers.
4. Jordan made 17.4% more points per game than Kobe over their equal careers.
5. Jordan got off 16.1% more field goals per game than Kobe over their equal careers.
6. Jordan grabbed 15.7% more rebounds per game over their equal careers than Kobe.
7. Jordan passed off for 11.7% more assists per game over their equal careers than Kobe.
8. Jordan shot 10% better from the field than Kobe over their equal careers.
9. Jordan made 9.8% more free throws per game over Kobe in their equal careers.
10. Jordan took 9.8% more free throws per game over Kobe in their equal careers.
11. Jordan made 5.1% less turnovers per game over his career than Kobe over his. Having less turnovers is a good thing.
12. Jordan only played 4.4% more minutes per game over his career than Kobe over his.
13. Jordan committed 2.2% less personal fouls per game over his career than Kobe over his. Having less personal fouls is a good thing.
14. Both Kobe and MJ shot exactly 83.4% from the line over their careers!
In the end, we see that Kobe has now reached MJ in games played (almost) and only shot 3.5% better from 3-point range, his supposed claim to fame over Jordan. The numbers indicate that Jordan was also way more devastatingly and demoralizingly effective on defense as well.
Kobe on average when you add and divide is 90% points behind Jordan if you combine all 17 categories. Yeah, the Laker team might win five, but again; at the moment Kobe has 33.3% less championships than MJ but Kobe has been to 14% more Finals; that is the difference between Kobe Bryant and the certifiable greatest player to ever play the game: Michael Jordan. NO ONE compares.
Kobe Bryant, the most overrated Jordan wannabe in league history. Where are you Harold Miner?