Today marks the first day teams are allowed to trade players signed this summer, so rumors will begin to really pick up steam.
In fact, there is a report stating that Heat star Dwyane Wade is close to being traded to the Chicago Bulls. Just kidding, I’m not ESPN.
The Heat received an injury exception last week allotted at $1.85 million for Udonis Haslem’s injury, they now have increased flexibility when it comes to trades.
Acquiring an experienced point guard can be an option if Pat Riley and the Heat opt to strike a deal before the exception expires on January 6.
It’s safe to say LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller are essentially untouchable.
I would also be surprised if a rotation player other than Mario Chalmers gets shipped out. He’s really the only one with a combination of some value and a cheap contract that would interest another team.
He's far too inconsistent to be depended on come playoff time.
The following are some point guards Miami could be inclined to go after. They are all in the salary range ($2-4 million) to make a trade plausible using Chalmers, the injury exception and a throw-in player if needed.
He's a very good defender with an inconsistent offensive game. Orlando could be willing to shed his contract after signing him this summer to a four-year deal.
He would be a nice upgrade defensively for Miami and the Magic have two second-string point guards with Duhon and Jason Williams.
Farmar has plenty of big-game experience, having played for the Lakers the last three seasons.
He might have his inconsistencies, but he's certainly a better player than Chalmers. He's a solid defender and a great creator on the ball.
His jumper isn't where it should be, but he could improve in that area with all of the open jumpers he would have in Miami.
Keyon is a 10-year veteran who plays with an edge defensively.
He's very active and would immediately be the Heat's best defensive option at the point. On offense, he isn't much of a distributor and has a streaky jumper.
He is probably the easiest player on this list to attain.
Like Michael Beasley in Miami, this kid needs a change of scenery. He has so much potential, yet has become a one-dimensional player as strictly a catch-and-shoot player.
He's the best shooter on this list and would be a fantastic fit offensively. He is a career 42 percent shooter on threes.
Defensively, he's not great but no worse than Chalmers or Carlos Arroyo. He's also one of LeBron's boys. But would Dan "Psycho" Gilbert and Cleveland be willing to make the Heat a better team?
Although he isn't known as a great spot-up shooter, he's a smart, efficient floor general.
Minnesota will likely trade him or Sebastian Telfair with Jonny Flynn back from injury. Luke is averaging 10.6 points and 5.0 assists while shooting 46 percent overall, 44 percent on threes and 90 percent from the line.
He could be Miami's long-term answer at point guard as his contract expires after the 2013-14 season. He's an upgrade over both Chalmers and Arroyo and would no doubt make the Heat a better team this season and beyond.
Featured on MIASPORTSGUY.COM, your home for Miami sports!