Updates from Sunday, Aug. 17
Ira Winderman of Sun-Sentinel.com provides a statement from Ray Allen discussing the incident at his home:
Miami is our home and we are proud to be active members in this community. We pray that no one else has to endure this kind of intrusion on their home or their families' safety.
We want to correct the erroneous information being reported about the crime committed in our home this week. On Thursday morning at 2:30 a.m., my wife Shannon was awakened by loud voices in our bedroom where she had been sleeping with our four young children. She heard male voices loudly discussing our personal property and sat up in a state of alarm to find at least five people inside our bedroom with large flashlights. She was immediately fearful for the safety of her own life, but more importantly the lives of our young children. When she screamed at them, the intruders quickly fled the scene and laughter was heard as they made their way out of our bedroom, down the stairs and out of our house.
As these individuals were fleeing our house, Shannon immediately called security and the police for help.
Shannon and I believe that a number of the public statements made through media outlets have mischaracterized certain important facts and what we believe to be the seriousness of this potentially devastating invasion upon our lives, home and family. The suggestion that anyone can unlawfully enter into someone’s locked home and then into an occupied bedroom in the middle of the night without consequences is unsettling, regardless of the stated or actual reason for such unlawful entry. We are very fortunate that no one involved was physically harmed during this ordeal. Miami is our home and we are proud to be active members in this community. We pray that no one else has to endure this kind of intrusion on their home or their families' safety. Everyone deserves to feel safe in their own homes.
We have hired attorney Gregory Victor for representation in this matter.
A group of seven teenagers broke into Ray Allen's Coral Gables house early Tuesday morning while Allen's wife and children were sleeping upstairs.
According to police officer Kelly Denham, via the Sun Sentinel's Erika Pesantes, the young adults—six men and one woman, aged 18 to 19—attended a house party next door before deciding to see how the former Miami Heat player lived. They entered through an unlocked door.
The kids departed the house when Allen's wife awoke and started yelling at them, but they were found about two miles away. They gave themselves up and all provided the police the same reasoning for the unlawful entrance: They didn't think anyone was home and were curious to see the inside of the NBA superstar's home.
Denham further explained, via the Miami Herald's Emma Court, that because there was no forced entry, no intent and nothing was stolen, police did not charge the kids with burglary or trespassing.
However, Allen's wife can still opt to press charges if she so chooses.
Allen, who hit free agency this summer, has yet to decide if he will sign with a team or retire from the NBA after 18 successful seasons. Rumors have been swirling that he is leaning one way or another, but both he and his agent have confirmed he is simply undecided, via Fox Sports' Sam Amico and USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt:
Ray Allen update: He says today no need to wait from some secret inside source, that when he reaches decision on future he'll just say it.— Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) August 11, 2014
In email, Ray Allen's agent said, "As Ray has previously stated, he is taking this time to make a decision whether or not he will play ..."— Jeff Zillgitt (@JeffZillgitt) August 10, 2014
A distraction like this only figures to delay that decision, but more than anything else, it's fortunate no one was harmed.