Seattle Supersonics: Does the Delayed Vote Hurt Seattle's Chances?

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
Seattle Supersonics: Does the Delayed Vote Hurt Seattle's Chances?
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

In three days time we should know, at least that's what we were told to expect.

Or perhaps not, according to Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn (via Seattlepi.com):

'(Stern) informed me then that he does not expect a decision out of the NBA Friday — that’ll be sometime after the meeting that we’ll get a decision made,' McGinn told reporters Tuesday at an impromptu news conference in front of KeyArena. 'So don’t expect something Friday; that’s what I heard. But they will tee-up the decision by the Board of Governors within a week or two after that.

Yet for as much as I would like to believe that the powers that be at the NBA will sort out and render a final verdict on the ownership of the Sacramento Kings some time in the next two weeks, I still have some doubts.  

On the other hand, when you think about it, the whole situation seems to be unfolding rather quickly when you consider that it was only back in January that Chris Hansen agreed to buy the Maloofs' 65 percent controlling interest in the Kings.

But even while Hansen continues to sweeten the pot with another $25 million, will it be enough?

Then again, is money even an issue anymore?

I suppose I'm just getting a little antsy while feeling like we've been here before. 

Who could forget waiting back in June 2008 for U.S. District Court Judge Marsha Pechman to hand down a decision on whether the Sonics would stay or not in their fight over the lease at Key Arena?  Only to have the city sell out to Clay Bennett just hours before the verdict was to be announced.

I'm still more than a little bitter about the fact we never got to know the verdict, but this time, for better or worse, we should get an answer. 

Right now, it would seem to come down to two votes from all the owners, the first in which Hansen needs a three-fourths majority to approve the buy, followed by a majority to green light the move to paraphrase Nick Eaton at the seattlepi.com. 

But does today's delay change anything?

The more time that this decision takes, the more I'm inclined to believe that the NBA is giving the city of Sacramento the opportunity to work out a deal, as Tony Bizjak and Dale Kasler at the Sacramento Bee reported, "The news came minutes after the Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said his investment team is ready to submit a bid to buy the team that it believes can win favor with both the NBA and the Maloof family."

That seems like a strange coincidence, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, in Seattle we keep waiting for someone, somewhere to yell, "Pencils down!" but today is just another instance where commissioner David Stern refuses to do so.  

It's a bit of a helpless feeling right now twisting in the wind, but I can sympathize with how the folks in Sacramento are probably feeling in having been there five years earlier. 

In many ways, the situation reminds me of the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me," where Sacramento is dealing with this for the first time, while Seattle is dealing with it once again.   

I guess the question I will continue to ask myself in the coming days (and likely weeks) is: What happens if the shame does fall on Seattle this time?

Jerry Brewer at the Seattle Times believes, "If the NBA wants to return to Seattle, this isn't just the right time. It may be the only time," and goes as far as saying, "If Seattle does not get the Kings, then it needs the NBA to provide a clear path to another franchise, with a clear timetable."

Does this delay matter?

Submit Vote vote to see results

However, I see that as wishful thinking. 

If this deal with this ownership group isn't good enough, then honestly, what more could Seattle do?

This group has dotted every "i" and crossed every "t" in getting this deal sorted. 

Would it help if they took down the Space Needle and replaced it with a statue of David Stern of the same height in it's place made entirely of 24 carat gold?

Joking aside, I'm just not convinced this game is ever going to end, and if it does, I get the feeling that it won't end well.

The meetings earlier this month should have set the stage for a decision at the end of this week, but instead we keep getting delays mixed with excuses.

While I fully understand this is no easy decision by any means, the time to make one needs to happen. 

Let's hope the powers that be choose wisely, because nobody likes to be made to look like a fool twice. 

Load More Stories

Follow B/R on Facebook

NBA

Subscribe Now

We will never share your email address

Thanks for signing up.