Matt Sullivan/Getty Images
1. The defense must continue to throw different looks at Sanchez and keep him from getting reads at the line. If they contain the run, they'll be successful against the pass.
2. The offensive line must continue to open holes for Hillis. As Peyton goes, so go the Browns.
3. The Jets defense could give McCoy and the Browns some fits. In that case, Phil Dawson will have to come up big.
Kris Knox:" While it is easier said than done, I think that the formula for winning against the Jets is fairly straightforward. If the Browns can contain the Jets' rushing attack, force Sanchez into long third down situations, control the tempo on offense and take points when they can get them, they can win a hard fought defensive game. If we see another inspired, mistake-free game from the Browns, I think they win 19-17."
1. Contain and make TE Dustin Keller a non-factor. He is Sanchez's safety blanket in tight spots, and the Browns have had issues stopping opposing tight ends.
2. Play the run, take your chances with the pass. The Jets are built to run, run and run the ball. While they have Edwards, Holmes and Keller, their passing offense is in the 20's, which tells me that if you stop Greene and LT, then you can beat them.
My theory is that if the Browns jump out to a early lead, then the Jets will lose because they are mainly built to be a run-first, play-action team that is built to win on ball control, time possession and running. If you take their run game from them and force them to pass then you can beat the Jets.
3. The Hillis-McCoy Duo needs to keep the Jets off-balance.
Get McCoy moving around on bootlegs and roll-outs, McCoy is more mobile than any QB on the roster and combined that with his accuracy and he could give the Jets some problems on the edge, combine McCoy with Hillis as a receiver and you have a physical player that the Jets cannot contain. and when the Jets load up the box for Hillis, look for Daboll to burn the over-aggressive jet's defense with play-action.
My original prediction from my "Week-By-Week Predictions" column was the Jets beating Cleveland 31-3, but after watching the Lions-NYJ game and seeing how effective McCoy-Hillis are, I will change my prediction to Browns 20, Jets 17