Rex Ryan has been in the spotlight since his first day as the head coach as the New York Jets, and no, it isn't because he wrote his resignation as the "HC of NYJ" on a napkin before the press conference. Rex has won the fans over through his contagious confidence, unrelenting defense, and some great press conference sound bites. Ryan's quotes keep people talking for days. Here are my top ten Rex Ryan quotes since he arrived in New York:
10. "We're going to start with the injury report, obviously. Manning, Clark, Addai, Reggie Wayne, Freeney, Mathis, Brackett
Classic Rex joke to start off a press conference.
9. “A number that I think is interesting would be eight, and no, that's not the amount of touchdown passes that Green Bay gave up against Arizona. That's the number of touchdown passes we gave up all season as the Jets, and the biggest reason for that is Darrelle Revis.”...on Woodson getting Defensive Player of the Year over Revis
Of course Rex had to stand up for Revis who very clearly got ripped off last year. And the cheap shot at the Packers pass defense against Zona in the playoffs was the icing on the cake. By the way, I recall Woodson getting burned twice for touchdowns in that game. And I believe Revis got burned three times all season. Just saying.
8. On the 2010 NFL Playoffs: "I wasn't aware of that...but to me we should be favorites. I mean in the whole tournament. I think we have the best defense; I know we do. I think we have the best rushing attack. I want this football team. If I had a choice to coach any team in this tournament, I would choose this one."
That confidence portrayed by Rex in every single press conference and interview translates on the field for sure.
7. "We're obviously out of the playoffs, and that's unfortunate."...after a Week 15 loss to the Atlanta Falcons
A statement made by Rex before he was informed that they still had a chance. And as we all know...they won out and made the playoffs.
6. "The message to the rest of the league is, hey, the Jets are coming, and we're going to give you everything we got. And I think that's going to be more than you can handle."
This is one of the first things I ever heard Rex say. That's a quote from his introduction press conference just a day after the Jets brought him in. I loved the guy instantaneously.
5. “He looks much better than most of our guys would. Let’s just be happy it was him and not some of our linemen.”...on Sanchez's GQ pictures
I know Sanchez got a lot of abuse in the locker room for posing in GQ Magazine. Well Rex diffused that by poking some fun at the linemen who would never even be considered for a GQ spread.
4. "First off, with all the cameras I was looking for our new president [Barack Obama] back there. I think we'll get to meet him in the next couple of years anyway."
A Super Bowl prediction? Not exactly the same thing as Namath's guarantee but still cool to hear him tell fans he expects a championship the day he was signed as head coach.
3. "Let's see if he can top this one. I've walked over tougher guys going to a fight. [...] He can send himself and his father after me."...on Channing Crowder, with whom Rex exchanged "smack talk" during the offseason
Rex and Crowder were going at it for most of the offseason. I was sure it would come to blows at one point before reading that him and Crowder actually like each other. There is some very funny stuff in the back-and-forth that the two had...and this is one of the highlights.
Rex wasn't going to let the most accomplished coach in the league intimidate him.
1. “If you take a swipe at one of ours, we’ll take two swipes at one of yours. We’re going to turn the heat up, we’re going to let the fur fly, and let’s see what happens.”
I'm not sure that this deserved to be #1 overall on my list...but this is the attitude that I've quickly grown to love. Rex's take-no-crap-from-nobody ideology has brought us some very fired up players on the field, especially in the intimidating Jets defense.
So there you have it, some great Rex Ryan sound bites. There will be many more to come and I'm sure if I redo this list in a year I'll have at most 4 of the quotes on here on the new list. Rex loves to talk and there will never be a shortage of quotes from him.