
Ndamukong Suh to Dolphins: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction
After spending the first five years of his career with the Detroit Lions, Ndamukong Suh has opted for a change of scenery by signing with the Miami Dolphins.
The team confirmed the news on Wednesday and captured this image of Suh:

TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
ESPN's Chris Mortensen previously reported, "Barring a breakdown in formal contract negotiations, Ndamukong Suh will sign with the Miami Dolphins after the new league year officially begins Tuesday for a deal that will pay him approximately $114 million with $60 million in guaranteed money, league sources told ESPN," reported
"The official proposal and contract, which would make Suh one of the NFL's highest-paid players, must be negotiated when the market opens at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday," Mortensen added.
The Dolphins provided this image of Suh at their facilities on Wednesday:
Bleacher Report NFL Insider Jason Cole provided further insight on Suh's decision:
Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reported that the league is expected to have a "dialogue" regarding the deal. Robinson clarified that it's not a formal investigation:
Once the Lions declined to franchise-tag Suh, many expected that was the end for the defensive tackle in Detroit, as Mortensen noted it "would have cost the team close to $26.9 million to tie him up for the 2015 season." Given both his track record and his age (28), a massive bidding war was bound to ensue.
Albert Breer of NFL.com reported that the Lions' offer to Suh was worth $17 million per year and contained $58 million in guarantees.
The Lions were still holding out hope Suh would re-sign with them, per ESPN's Josina Anderson, who cited a team source:
"[The Miami Dolphins & Ndamukong Suh] can't finalize until Tuesday. We will hope he comes to his senses." The source added, "key is playing for coach [Jim] Caldwell and Teryl [Austin]. Plus good players around him. Can't get that there..."
"
Fox Sports' Alex Marvez questioned the Lions' chances after Suh was set to hit the open market:
"Teams in far better shape under the salary cap can then bid to make Suh the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.
How high? If signed to a seven-year deal — which is the longest contract currently allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement that expires after the 2020 season — ex-Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik said he expects Suh to command in the range of $115 million to $125 million with $70 million guaranteed. The current high-water mark for a defensive tackle is the seven-year, $95.2 million extension with $51.5 million guaranteed that Gerald McCoy signed with Tampa Bay during the 2014 campaign.
"
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora felt Suh was in line to receive something approaching $17 million a year and $60 million in guaranteed money.
The fact that a defensive tackle could command that kind of money is a testament to Suh's ability.
Some Lions fans already seemed resigned to defeat, placing billboards that read "$uh" around Detroit:
Suh's teammates were equally skeptical about the team's chances of retaining him but remained hopeful he'd re-sign.
"I want him back. He's such a key part to everything we do that we hope that we can get him back," said safety James Ihedigbo, per Rod Beard of The Detroit News. "It's the nature of the business, so it's really out of my hands and what I think really doesn't matter."
"From a business standpoint, he gets to see where he really wants to be," added Lions defensive end Darryl Tapp. "He gets to be recruited by other teams, which he's never really done before."
After Albert Haynesworth proved to be such a bust for the Washington Redskins, some likely questioned whether Suh should receive a king's ransom.
Although the two play(ed) the same position, their styles weren't at all similar. Haynesworth was never much of a pass-rusher, picking up 30.5 sacks over a decade in the league. He also had never started a full season before arriving in Washington.
In his five years in the league, Suh has gone to four Pro Bowls while recording 36 sacks and two forced fumbles. According to Pro Football Focus' Michael Renner, he also ranked in the top 10 in pass-rushing productivity in all five years and cracked the top five over the last three.
Additionally, he's missed a total of two games in his career.
Suh's combination of durability and production should ensure he remains a great defensive tackle for years to come. A Haynesworth-esque letdown doesn't seem like a possibility.
This is unquestionably a huge get for the Dolphins and a sign that they're serious about competing for a Super Bowl. At least in terms of this offseason, adding Suh is the ultimate win-now move.
It's way too early to talk about the Dolphins as title contenders, but this is a step in the right direction.
Meanwhile, Detroit will have a massive hole to fill along its defensive line. Suh was a fixture inside ever since his arrival.

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)