It is called the Mid-American Conference (MAC), and it has supplied the NFL with its fair share of football players; there are currently 85 former MAC players on professional football teams.
Probably the most recognizable is Ben Roethlisberger, who played college football at Miami University. He has won two Super Bowls as the Pittsburgh Steelers' starting quarterback, and Chris G of Bleacher Report wrote in a recent article, "There is no question that Ben Roethlisberger is the Steelers' best offensive player."
Antonio Gates came from Kent State to play tight end for the San Diego Chargers. Wide receiver Domenick Hixson attended Akron before joining the New York Giants.Green Bay star wide receiver Greg Jennings went to Western Michigan University before becoming a member of the NFL champion Packers.
If you are into numbers, here are some worth noting:
- No MAC team has fewer than four players in the NFL.
- Three MAC schools (Kent State, Temple and Toledo) have 10 players in the NFL.
- Three NFL teams (Atlanta, Minnesota and Miami) do not have a player from a current MAC team.
- The Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers have the most MAC players with eight.
- The MAC's best position is wide receiver; they have 13 pass-catchers in the NFL.
- The least-favorite position (with one) is long snapper.
See if you recognize these former MAC players by their universities.