The Miami Dolphins have scheduled a private workout with former Lehigh (Pa.) offensive lineman Will Rackley on April 5, according to Josh Buchanan of JBScouting.com.
Rackley, who reportedly excelled at Lehigh's Pro Day on Thursday in front of at least 15 NFL scouts and coaches, also has workouts scheduled with the Detroit Lions and Kansas City Chiefs. He claims to have spoken with up to 28 team reps at February's Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
A Georgia native, Rackley started all four seasons at Lehigh, including 13 games at left tackle as a senior in 2010. He was a three-time All-Patriot League selection and two-time AP All-American for the Mountain Hawks.
Measuring in at 6-foot-3 and 309 pounds, Rackley is a strong pass protector and run blocker, and uses his excellent strength to push defenders. He was a team captain as a senior and an Academic Honor Roll pick in 2009, with the intelligence to analyze various defensive packages.
While he excelled at tackle at a Division I-FCS school, Rackley projected as an interior lineman in the NFL, and is widely considered a top-five prospect at either the guard or center position.
CBSSports.com ranks Rackley fifth at the guard position in this year's class, behind Mike Pouncey (Florida), Danny Watkins (Baylor), Benjamin Ijalana (Villanova), and Clint Boling (Georgia). ESPN.com also has Rackley fifth among guards and rated as the sixth-best interior lineman overall.
Rackley is widely projected to go in the third round of April's draft, but could sneak into the second round depending on how his fellow guard prospects come off the board and his pre-draft workouts between now and then.
The Dolphins could certainly have their eye on Rackley in the third round, as they are potentially in the market for two new starting guards. Left guard Richie Incognito has been moved to center and is expected to start there, while 2010 third-rounder John Jerry struggled as a rookie and Nate Garner remains somewhat unproven after missing all of last season with a foot injury.
Known prospects to have drawn pre-draft interest from Dolphins:
- OL Byron Bell, New Mexico (interest)
- OLB Ricky Elmore, Arizona (private workout/interview/film study 3/14)
- QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri (private workout, TBD)
- QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada (private workout, March)
- WR Terrence McCrae, Ohio (private workout at Pro Day, March 10)
- QB Cam Newton, Auburn (private workout, TBD)
- QB Josh Portis, California (Pa.) (private workout at QB/WR, 3/22)
- OG Will Rackley, Lehigh (private workout, 4/5)
- OLB Brooks Reed, Arizona (visit and/or private workout, TBD)
- TE Julius Thomas, Portland State (attended Pro Day, 3/14)
- TE D. J. Williams, Arkansas (private workout, March)
Discuss this article on the forum here!
Chris J. Nelson graduated with a degree in journalism from Georgia State University and currently works for Turner Sports in Atlanta. He operates his own Miami Dolphins website, The Miami Dolphins Spotlight, and he can be followed on Twitter here.