The Yankees' starting rotation has been one of their strengths, but lately we’ve seen AJ Burnett leave a game early because of a self inflicted wound and Andy Pettitte limping off the mound. Now, there are real questions to be answered.
Here are some notes:
- Andy Pettitte has a Grade-1 groin strain and is out for 4-to-5 weeks .
- The Yankees will not trade for a starting pitcher in Pettitte’s absence.
- Sergio Mitre will be taking his place. He’s starting tonight for Triple-A Scranton and will throw 75 pitches to stretch himself out.
- Our own Lucas Weick thinks that they’d be better off calling up RHP Ivan Nova .
- The team is not considering Joba Chamberlain to start in place of Pettitte.
I would really like to see Joba get some starts in the rotation, but the bullpen has been awful and despite his inconsistencies, the Yankees cannot afford not to have him out there.
- July 18, 2010 -- Why Ivan Nova Should Replace Andy Pettitte, Not Sergio Mitre (2)
- July 18, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Pettitte, A-Rod, Burnett (1)
- July 18, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Marte, Robertson, Mitre, Laird, Yogi (1)
- July 9, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Recap, Atkins, Mitre, All-Star Starter, LeBron James (1)