Dream on, that's what we do. The question: When will the Oakland Raiders win a Super Bowl again? Soon. And very soon, some believe.
A little research on the patterns of showing up in a Super Bowl game will be presented.
Here are a few observations:
1. The Oakland Raiders have been in a Super Bowl five times, winning a total of three times. The most recent win was in 1983, about 27 years ago.
2. The Oakland Raiders had a four year interval between the first Super Bowl victory and the second one, from 1976 to 1980. Then, it took three years to appear again in the Super Bowl, winning as the Los Angeles Raiders in 1983.
3. Teams that have had two consecutive championship wins are:
This demonstrates the consistency of those teams, at least during the two years they won the Super Bowl.
4. The level of consistency demonstrated by the teams in item #3 has not yet been demonstrated by the Oakland Raiders. In other words, there are no back to back victories in the Super Bowl for the Oakland Raiders.
5. The Green Bay Packers had a strong start by winning the first two Super Bowls (1966, 1967) but then they had a dry spell lasting 29 years before they were able to win again in 1996.
6. It has been 37 years since the Miami Dolphins won a Super Bowl.
7. It has been 27 years since the Oakland Raiders have won a Super Bowl.
8. Although the Green Bay Packers won two consecutive years, it took 29 years to win a Super Bowl after claiming the first two.
So, if we gauge the Oakland Raiders by the standard set in place by the Packers, there is a chance that the Oakland Raiders can win this year.
One thing is certain. The Oakland Raiders must win in less than 29 years so that Green Bay continues to hold a record of a 29 year gap between Super Bowl wins.
It means, finally, that a team can have a big gap between Super Bowl wins, and then make a comeback.
So, let's pop the question, When will the Oakland Raiders see a Super Bowl again?
The answer needs to be: in 2010 or 2011.
The line of reasoning using these observations and patterns is that if one NFL team can make a comeback and return to the Super Bowl after a 29-year gap, then there is a possibility that the Oakland Raiders can do it, too.
Do it this year, Oakland Raiders!