The Dallas Police Department announced Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel is under investigation after a complaint was filed following an incident with ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley. WFAA's Rebecca Lopez provided a statement from Crowley on Friday:
The Dallas Police Department provided details on the investigation:
Following yesterday’s release, today the Dallas Police Department received a complaint of a domestic violence assault that occurred in Dallas on January 30, 2016. A criminal investigation into the incident, in which Johnathan Manziel is the listed suspect, has been initiated. Detectives will thoroughly investigate the case to determine what criminal charges, if any, will be filed and victim services will be offered.
As there are many emotional factors involved, it is not uncommon for a victim of domestic violence to question or delay reporting an assault. This is an on-going investigation and updates will be made as information becomes available.
Thursday, the Dallas Police Department issued a statement saying it had conducted an investigation but noted that "Investigative efforts to date have not resulted in the filing of a criminal complaint, and the incident is determined to be closed," according to ESPN.com's Adam Schefter.
Earlier Friday, Lopez reported a judge signed a protective order mandating that Manziel must stay away from Crowley for two years and pay $12,000 worth of her legal fees.
Citing sources, Lopez reported Manziel and Crowley dated for two years before breaking up in December.
Since then, "Crowley has told authorities that, according to sources, she is afraid for her safety and has drafted an order of protection to be presented to a Tarrant County district court judge," per Lopez.
The alleged incident, which reportedly occurred on Jan. 30, stemmed from an argument the couple had "over another girl" and resulted in Manziel hitting Crowley and dragging her by her hair. According to Lopez, Manziel allegedly threatened Crowley and said "shut up or I'll kill us both."
Manziel has since refuted those claims.
"It didn't happen," the quarterback told TMZ Sports. "I'm completely stable," he added, per TMZ Sports. "I'm safe and secure."
In an interview with the Dallas Morning News' Kate Hairopoulos, Manziel's father expressed worry regarding his son's health after the 23-year-old resisted attempts from his family on two separate occasions to be admitted to rehabilitation clinics.
"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday," Paul Manziel said, per Hairopoulos.
The Browns have also reached out to Manziel to no avail.
"We'll do anything we can to help, but he's got to call us back and work with us,'' Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "We've already addressed the football side in a statement, but right now, we're worried about Johnny Manziel the person, not Johnny Manziel the football player.''
As for his status with the Browns, team executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown released a statement Tuesday expressing disappointment in Manziel's off-field behavior.
"We've been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field," Brown said. "Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules."
Lopez added Manziel is not expected back with the Browns next season after spending the first two years of his career with the organization.