In a pre-draft address to the media one day before the 2013 NFL draft, Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan said (via Redskins.com) this year is a good year not to have a first-round draft pick, and the chances the team will have one are "one in a million."
Shanahan referred to having a game plan going into the NFL draft, but the Redskins organization, more specifically the front office, will always do what's best for the team. With the team currently holding the 51st pick in the draft, late in the second round, the Redskins selection will not come until Friday night.
The team relinquished their first-round pick—and several other picks—in this year's NFL draft to select Robert Griffin III with the second overall pick last year.
As far as the Redskins making another move to get back into the first round in this year's draft, Shanahan almost laughed the question off.
"I'd say it would be a long-shot...but there's always a possibility. Like one in a million."
"A lot depends on what and where your football team is and the direction you want to go," Shanahan said succinctly.
A question posed early in the press conference focused on the use of social media, Facebook and Twitter by name, in evaluating a player's character—which has become more and more an issue with certain players getting themselves in trouble or a story generating more interest than in the past.
Shanahan explained the vetting process, where a team researches a player thoroughly, looking for something that could come back to haunt them, which has always been taken very seriously with his current scouting team.
With the 51st pick the Redskins should select . . .
"We try to get as much info that we can," Shanahan said. "Sometimes we'll go back to his high school coach, trainers, equipment people...As much information we can get on the character of a person."
When asked for specifics and if this has happened in the past, where a player's stock in the NFL draft has dropped due to information the scouting team has found to be, shall we say, unsavory, Shanahan did not hesitate to respond.
"There's a lot of times we take guys off the (NFL draft) board, because of character issues."
During the 30-minute press conference,Shanahan repeated several times that this year's draft has a lot of talent as far as the offensive and defensive linemen are concerned, as well as at the wide receiver position.
However, he is also certain the second through fifth rounds hold an abundance of talent, citing the 2002 selection of former Redskins running back Clinton Portis as the 51st pick that year while Shanahan was with the Denver Broncos.
Not to mention last year's selection in the sixth round of the second-leading rusher in the NFL, Redskins starting running back Alfred Morris.
The Washington Redskins will be standing on the sidelines for the first night of the NFL draft unless the team decides to cash in on that one in a million possibility.
The NFL draft will air live, Thursday through Saturday, on the NFL Network beginning at 8 p.m. ET.