Here's my listing of the top 30 free agents (12-team, standard-scoring leagues) heading into Week 9. This countdown ideally values long-term viability over one week of superb stats.
Obviously, free-agent quarterbacks like Alex Smith, Russell Wilson, Brandon Weeden and Sam Bradford are the likeliest candidates for the most points from Sunday to Sunday.
That said, I would also place an equal or higher priority on landing possible dynamos at receiver, running back and tight end ahead of a quarterback who may only draw one or two fantasy starts from this point forward.
I would also favor a strategy of grabbing or stashing a bye-week kicker like Greg Zuerlein, David Akers or Stephen Gostkowski after one of your fellow owners dumps them in order to avoid taking a zero in the starting kicker slot.
For an in-depth slideshow of the top 10 waiver-wire pickups, click here.
Top 30 Free Agents
1. WR Titus Young, Lions
2. RB Jonathan Dwyer, Steelers
3. WR Cecil Shorts, Jaguars
4. RB Donald Brown, Colts
5. WR Andre Roberts, Cardinals
6. RB LaRod Stephens-Howling, Cardinals
7. RB Daniel Thomas, Dolphins
8. QB Brandon Weeden, Browns
9. QB Alex Smith, 49ers
10. WR Danny Amendola, Rams
11. RB Vick Ballard, Colts
12. QB Russell Wilson, Seahawks
13. TE Dustin Keller, Jets
14. QB Sam Bradford, Rams
15. K Justin Tucker, Ravens
16. RB Joique Bell, Lions
17. WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Raiders
18. RB Kendall Hunter, 49ers
19. RB Mike Goodson, Raiders
20. TE Scott Chandler, Bills
21. TE Jermaine Gresham, Bengals
22. RB Jacquizz Rodgers, Falcons
24. RB Shane Vereen, Patriots
24. D/ST Miami Dolphins
25. WR Rueben Randle, Giants
26. RB Daryl Richardson, Rams
27. K Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots (Friday pickup after Wednesday drop)
28. RB Peyton Hillis, Chiefs
29. TE Brandon Myers, Raiders
30. WR Justin Blackmon, Jaguars
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.