Mixed-league roto owners, are you in need of a waiver-wire pitcher before Tuesday's slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (from the majority of 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom.
Justin Masterson, Cleveland Indians (vs. Royals)
1. In five of his last six starts, Masterson has surrendered just three or fewer runs five times. Collectively, he has a 3.58 ERA during that stretch.
2. Masterson, who registered 10 strikeouts on Opening Day, is a healthy lock to go seven innings with nearly every start. Against the schizophrenic Royals hitters (Tuesday's opponent), he's also a good bet for six or seven strikeouts.
3. In 15 career appearances against Kansas City (spanning 64 innings), Masterson has a 4-3 record, 3.94 ERA and 48/25 K-BB ratio.
4. At Progressive Field, Masterson has a lifetime ERA of 3.14.
The Next Five For Tuesday
1. Ryan Vogelsong (Giants) vs. Diamondbacks
The 34-year-old pitcher has been a little skittish with strikeouts, walks and hits allowed this season. But he's been awesome in one regard: Three or fewer runs allowed in seven of his eight outings.
2. Jarrod Parker (Athletics) at Twins
Fingers crossed that Parker will continue his mound mastery against Minnesota just six days removed from an eight-strikeout, one-run gem against the Angels.
3. Randall Delgado (Braves) vs. Cardinals
The good news: Delgado hasn't surrendered more than four runs in his last six outings. The bad news: He's allowed four runs three times during that span.
4. Jake Arrieta (Orioles) at Blue Jays
Arrieta has run hot-and-cold throughout the season—striking out nine and allowing two runs one day, getting roughed up the next. This will be his first encounter against Toronto this year.
5. Joe Blanton (Phillies) at Mets
Blanton has been brutal in his last two starts (13 runs allowed), but there is reason for optimism here—his 16/2 K-BB ratio since May 14.
A Look Back
Friday's selection: Pirates pitcher A.J. Burnett
Final tally: 5.1 innings, six hits, zero runs allowed, six strikeouts and two walks.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @ATL_JayClemons.