- As stated earlier, Mike Lamb was signed for a year at the rate of $400K
- Bill Hall didn’t make a pitch for CC to stay. Way to stay un-clutch, William.
Rumors and Speculation
- C.C. has been rumored to have met or to meet with many teams including the Brewers, Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Dodgers, and Angels. And believe it or not, all the teams feel they have a legitimate shot at him. That’s how good his agent is doing so far.
- ESPN is madly fueling rumors of Prince Fielder on the trading block. Both Peter Gammons and Buster Olney have said as much. Steve Phillips on the ESPN Winter Meetings Blog has even asked the question of a Prince for Putz trade.
I’d say “Are you f**king kidding me? No way in hell do the Brewers do a deal in which the centered around J.J. “I Swear it’s Pronounced Pootz” Putz.” Rattler Radio also has some thoughts on bringing in Putz that do not involve Fielder.
- Somebody told Andrew Baggerly of the San Jose Mercury News that the Brewers are emerging as the front runners for CC Sabathia, but then doesn’t say anything to back up his source.
- According to a nice, information-filled post on the Boston Globe, the Brewers might not bring back Gabe Kapler because they are in need of left handed bats. If that’s true, it would be sad. If you’d bring in the switch hitting Punto for the infield, then maybe…(I know, I know, not happening, get over it)
- Last night, a deal was imminent for Peavy to go to Chicago and now, reports are that a deal is not even remotely close. The Cubs are also looking at Milton Bradley. Cubs are also rumored to be willing to part with fan favorite Mark DeRosa and ship him to Philadelphia. This move would be seen as a way to free up money to bring in Bradley and Peavy. Well, they already bankrupt the Trib, why not more? UPDATE: ESPN rumor page has the Peavy deal “close” again. It’s the equivalent of a see-saw and it’s making me sick.
- Yankees might offer Ben Sheets a contract. Maybe the All Star performance was an open interview?
- A couple names that fans were interested in are off the table. The Dodgers swept up Casey Blake and Mark Loretta.
- The Reds had a busy day. They were reported to have signed veteran pitcher Livan Hernandez, which was later retracted and later traded Ryan Freel and prospects to Baltimore for Ramon Hernandez.
- Are the Pirates going to sell off some goods? Many teams are inquiring about Paulino, Maholm, and Snell.
- BrewCrewBall runs the numbers on Soup, then runs him through the shredder. They also gave some projections on how the Brewers bullpen is shaping up.
- Closer News: K-Rod is probably going to the Mets and former Cub Kerry Wood is close to a two-year deal with the Indians.
- It’s interesting, but unconfirmed: On a Brewers message board, it was posted that the Brewers were interested in Rick Ankiel. While a left-handed center fielder makes sense, I don’t see it happening.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!