The San Francisco 49ers hold all the cards at the seventh pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Trent Baalke and JIm Harbaugh now have an opportunity to scuffle the cards with a league high 12 picks in Thursday's upcoming NFL draft.
Here's a layout of what the 49ers fans should expect to happen in the war room regarding their final decisions on who will be their the seventh pick in the NFL draft on Thursday.
1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU is an easy choice for the 49ers, but Peterson might not be there at the seventh pick. The 49ers need an impact player that will be an immediate starter on defense. The 49ers will need to give up some draft picks to get Peterson at a higher selection than the seventh pick, which would mean trading up to solidify his position on becoming a 49er. Peterson is not only the top cornerback in the draft, but many experts have him rated as the best player in the draft. The 49ers have 12 picks and need make a move and land this franchise player.
2. Robert Quinn DE, North Carolina has a troubled past, but he is the edge pass rusher that the 49ers need to come in and play right away. The questions surrounding Quinn is he worth the risk, because of past history off the field and his medical issues. He was suspended by the NCAA for an entire year and also diagnosed with a brain tumor. He has the explosiveness needed as a pass rusher, and at 6’4” 265 he carries the strength to man handle NFL lineman, because he benched pressed 225 pounds 24 times at the NFL Combine.
3. Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M is the 49ers best option, because he can give the 49ers a speedy impact outside linebacker that can take away some of the double teams that Patrick Willis faces every Sunday. The Dick Butkus award winner can change the 49ers defensive scheme and become a constant pressure pass rusher on the field for the 49ers.
4. Blaine Gabbert QB, Missouri is a selection that the 49ers will seriously consider if he falls to the 7th pick. Gabbert has the size at 6’5” 240 lbs and the mobility to run the “West Coast Offense” and if he’s available the 49ers might be forced to take a quarterback and solidify the position for the future.
5. Cam Newton QB, Auburn has everyone on egg shells after the wasted money on Jamarcus Russell. 49ers would be taking a huge risk if they draft Newton, and will have to examine if the fans are ready for another disaster franchise QB pick.
6. Prince Amukamara CB, Nebraska is a safe selection the 49ers, he could be picked up by trading down in the first round of the draft. They can trade with teams that are looking to be in the top 7 picks and will be gain two additional selections. He’s the solid citizen that would give the 49ers image a lift because he's a true professional at his position
7. Trade 7th pick in 2011 NFL Draft The San Francisco 49ers have a league high 12 selections in the 2011 NFL draft, and it would be a good move to trade their 7th round selection and pick up additional draft choices. They will be able to pick up a players they covet later in the first, second and third rounds of this years draft.
49ers Draft Picks
Round 1, No. 7 (7th overall)
Round 2, No. 13 (45th overall)
Round 3, No. 12 (76th overall)
Round 4, No. 11 (108th overall)
Round 4, No. 18 (115th overall, from San Diego)
Round 5, No. 10 (141st overall)
Round 6, No. 9 (174th overall)
Round 6, No. 25 (190th overall, from Seattle)
Round 7, No. 8 (210th overall)
Round 7, No. 30 (230th overall, from Detroit)
Round 7, No. 38 (238th overall, compensatory)
Round 7, No. 49 (249th overall, compensatory)