With 34 stolen bases in 183 games, it would be reasonable to believe that Julio Borbon would be a good source for stolen bases in 2011.
However, he wasn’t nearly as effective last year, though as he had 15 SBs in 137 games (438 at-bats) vs. 19 in 46 games (157 ABs) in 2009.
While I wouldn’t be stunned if he swiped 30 bases this year, I wouldn’t bank on it.
He has a few things working against him.
For starters, he isn’t patient enough at the plate. He worked just 19 walks in 468 plate appearances. He saw just 3.38 pitches per at-bat. Even if he can return to the .300 level, he may not be on base as much as other speed options.
Another thing working against him and it should come as a surprise since he’s a lefty, but he struggled against lefties hitting just .247.
David Murphy, also a lefty and who he’ll likely split time with, hit .272 against southpaws.
Murphy also hit .298 against righties, whereas Borbon hit .284, so don’t expect Borbon to always get the start against righties.
While Murphy doesn’t possess the speed that Borbon does, he did manage 14 stolen bases last year. Plus, if the playoffs are an indication, Murphy had 27 at-bats to Borbon’s nine.
Any way you slice it, it looks like it’s going to be a pretty even share. The saving grace is the fact that Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz have a tendency to get hurt, which should allow both outfielders to get extra at-bats.
Borbon won’t take much of an investment, as his ADP, according to Mock Draft Central, is 280. Still, if you wish to acquire his services, he’ll take up a roster spot.
Perhaps he’ll be a terror on the basepaths; I just think there are better options available.
What’s your take? Do you like Julio Borbon in 2011?
Also check out
- 2011 Fantasy Baseball Profiles
- 2011 Fantasy First Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy A.L. Only First Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy N.L. Only First Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Second Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy A.L. Only Second Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy N.L. Only Second Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Third Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy A.L. Only Third Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy N.L. Only Third Basemen Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Shortstop Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy A.L. Only Shortstop Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy N.L. Only Shortstop Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Catcher Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Outfielder Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Starting Pitcher Rankings
- 2011 Fantasy Closer Rankings