New York JetsDownload App

NFL: New York Jets Make Cuts Before Collective Bargaining Agreement Expires

MIAMI - SEPTEMBER 07:  Kris Jenkins #77 of the New York Jets looks on against the Miami Dolphins at Dolphin Stadium on September 7, 2008 in Miami, Florida. The Jets won 20-14. (Photo by Doug Benc/Getty Images)
Doug Benc/Getty Images
David SpiegelContributor INovember 20, 2016

The New York Jets announced this evening they will release Vernon Gholston, Jason Taylor, Kris Jenkins and Damien Woody. The Jets had previously said they would be making some cuts before March 3 when the current Collective Bargaining Agreement ends.

Gholston was guaranteed to go after another unsuccessful season in a Jets uniform. He failed to record a sack his first three years in the NFL. Gholston was taken sixth overall by the Jets in the 2008 draft and has failed to live up to the hype.

Rex Ryan spoke highly of Gholston on HBO's "Hard Knocks." To put it in a clean way, Ryan said Gholston was maturing, but he clearly had not progressed enough to hold on to a roster spot.

Taylor, once hated by the Jets and their fans, was temporarily able to win them over for a season, but that reign has come to an end. He was also expected to be cut by the Jets once the season ended, but he was clearly upset when the idea of being released was brought up after the Jets' AFC Championship defeat. The former Defensive Player of the Year is getting older and is a few years past his prime. He will probably retire.

There was also much speculation that Jenkins would be released by the Jets this offseason. He played in only one regular season game and tore his ACL for the second straight season.

Jenkins was hoping to return to the Jets after an offseason of rehab, but it appears he will be given the chance to test free agency. He can likely return to New York for cheap if he does not receive any better offers, and a healthy Jenkins could still have a lot to offer the Jets or whichever team decides to give him a chance.

Woody was the big cut for the Jets. He started 13 games at right tackle this season, but suffered through injuries at the end of the regular season and again in the playoffs.

Woody came to the Jets in 2008 and solidified a line that became one of the best in the NFL for the next three seasons. He may also be able to return at a reduced price if he is not able to find another job in the NFL.

Woody made a statement on his Twitter account shortly after being informed of his release:

"Just informed about my release....I want to thank the Jets and all the fans out there...it was a great ride!"

After receiving some comments from Jets fans, Woody responded via Twitter:

"Damn....Jet fans are the best!!! The most passionate fans out there! #muchlove"

If Woody does not return, his release opens the door for the Jets' 2010 second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse to take the starting RT spot. If the Jets re-sign Wayne Hunter, he will battle Ducasse for that spot.

Other Jets who have the possibility of getting released are LaDainian Tomlinson and Bryan Thomas, but it appears both will likely be able to stay with the Jets unless they have other plans during the draft or training camp.

Where can I comment?

Stay on your game

Latest news, insights, and forecasts on your teams across leagues.

Choose Teams
Get it on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Real-time news for your teams right on your mobile device.

Download
Copyright © 2017 Bleacher Report, Inc. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved. BleacherReport.com is part of Bleacher Report – Turner Sports Network, part of the Turner Sports and Entertainment Network. Certain photos copyright © 2017 Getty Images. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of Getty Images is strictly prohibited. AdChoices