There are certainly a few notable names in the first group I'm going to list.
Some of them are deserving to be in this group of average, below average, and downright terrible receivers—according to the receiver rating—while a few others are clearly out of place.
T.O. tops the list after a bounce-back season with the Bengals, clearly outproducing teammate Chad Ochocinco.
Some young pass catchers are near the top of of this group as well, including Jeremy Maclin, James Jones, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Davone Bess and Kenny Britt.
You'll see a few names a bit out of place though. Two big examples are Larry Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall.
As I stated in a previous slide, the Yards After Catch Avg is the key component in this formula. Larry Fitzgerald's below-average rating can be identified directly by his very low 187 yards after his 90 receptions. That's barely an average of over two yards a catch.
To put that into comparison, the receiver rated right above him—Earl Bennett—more then doubles that yards-after-catch production. Still, I highly doubt anybody believes Earl Bennett is a better receiver then the five-time pro-bowler Fitz.
With Brandon Marshall, it's quite obvious he isn't the third-best receiver on his team, behind Bess and Brian Hartline. But, that still doesn't ignore the fact that he had some clear flaws in his performance last year. 185 yards after catch, 11 drops and only three receiving touchdowns—none of that is good.
Then again, Chad Henne was throwing him the football.
This formula truly does show how much Ochocinco, Derrick Mason and Donald Driver fell off this past year, all of which are in their 30's and far past their primes.
Good luck to the names at the bottom of the list when it comes to playing time next season.
26. Terrell Owens—Cincinnati Bengals=54.75 Receiver Rating
27. Jeremy Maclin—Philadelphia Eagles=54.50 Receiver Rating
28. Roy Williams—Dallas Cowboys=53.50 Receiver Rating
29. Hines Ward—Pittsburgh Steelers=53.50 Receiver Rating
30. Malcolm Floyd—San Diego Chargers=53.25 Receiver Rating
31. James Jones—Green Bay Packers=53.25 Receiver Rating
32. Michael Crabtree—San Francisco 49ers=53.00 Receiver Rating
33. Josh Morgan—San Francisco 49ers=52.75 Receiver Rating
34. Davone Bess—Miami Dolphins=52.50 Receiver Rating
35. Kenny Britt—Tennessee Titans=52.00 Receiver Rating
36. Anquan Boldin—Baltimore Ravens=51.75 Receiver Rating
37. Mike Thomas—Jacksonville Jaguars=50.50 Receiver Rating
38. Danny Amendola—St. Louis Rams=50.00 Receiver Rating
39. Pierre Garcon—Indianapolis Colts=49.50 Receiver Rating
40. Johnny Knox—Chicago Bears=49.25 Receiver Rating
41. Brian Hartline—Miami Dolphins=49.00 Receiver Rating
42. Earl Bennett—Chicago Bears=48.50 Receiver Rating
43. Larry Fitzgerald—Arizona Cardinals=48.00 Receiver Rating
44. Jordy Nelson—Green Bay Packers=47.00 Receiver Rating
45. Louis Murphy—Oakland Raiders=45.50 Receiver Rating
46. Jacoby Jones—Houston Texans=45.25 Receiver Rating
47. Mike Sims-Walker—Jacksonville Jaguars=44.50 Receiver Rating
48. Jordan Shipley—Cincinnati Bengals=44.25 Receiver Rating
49. David Gettis—Carolina Panthers=43.75 Receiver Rating
50. Brandon Marshall—Miami Dolphins=43.25 Receiver Rating
51. Mike Williams—Seattle Seahawks=43.25 Receiver Rating
52. Devin Hester—Chicago Bears=43.00 Receiver Rating
53. Chad Ochocinco—Cincinnati Bengals=42.75 Receiver Rating
54. Derrick Mason—Baltimore Ravens=42.00 Receiver Rating
55. Anthony Armstrong—Washington Redskins=41.75 Receiver Rating
56. Jabar Gaffney—Denver Broncos=40.75 Receiver Rating
57. Steve Smith—Carolina Panthers=39.50 Receiver Rating
58. Brandon Gibson—St. Louis Rams=39.25 Receiver Rating
59. Kevin Walter—Houston Texans=39.00 Receiver Rating
60. Chansi Stuckey—Cleveland Browns=39.00 Receiver Rating
61. Lee Evans—Buffalo Bills=38.75 Receiver Rating
62. Jason Avant—Philadelphia Eagles=38.00 Receiver Rating
63. Donald Driver—Green Bay Packers=37.50 Receiver Rating
64. Nate Washington—Tennessee Titans=37.00 Receiver Rating
65. Michael Jenkins—Atlanta Falcons=36.75 Receiver Rating
66. Steve Breaston—Arizona Cardinals=36.00 Receiver Rating
67. Blair White—Indianapolis Colts=34.75 Receiver Rating
68. Robert Meachem—New Orleans Saints=34.25 Receiver Rating
69. Deon Butler—Seattle Seahawks=34.00 Receiver Rating
70. Mohamed Massaquoi—Cleveland Browns=33.75 Receiver Rating
71. Devery Henderson—New Orleans Saints=30.75 Receiver Rating
72. Laurent Robinson—St. Louis Rams=30.25 Receiver Rating
73. Brandon LaFell—Carolina Panthers=29.50 Receiver Rating
74. Jerricho Cotchery—New York Jets=27.75 Receiver Rating
75. Bernard Berrian—Minnesota Vikings=24.75 Receiver Rating